IGNORED

'76 mechanical heater valve solution

saridout

before i go into the details, i'd like to add this disclaimer: i have not reinstalled the blower yet, so i don't have a definitive answer as to whether this works or not. some people will probably balk at the use of a non-stock part, but i'd rather scrimp on parts that no one will ever see and spend the savings on more cosmetic needs (butterscotch color change!). as long as it works, i'm fine with it. as far as i can tell, the copper capillary serves no essential purpose, so i'm doing without. i don't need minute temperature adjustments. if you think that the capillary is absolutely integral to the system, please tell me how and why.

so! please visit the link below to see all that i've done. explanations are in the captions. the thumbnails are not in order, sorry about that.

new valve photos

i didn't take a photo of it, but i did hook up the cable and it works beautifully. please, don't do anything as stupid as i did and cut down the wrong cable because it seemed too long. however, if you do, i can recommend a decent replacement >__<

i'm not completely certain what the valve was for originally. i've heard that it was for an international harvester scout, but don't quote me on that. the part number is FACTORY AIR 74628. i got the valve at o'reilly's, but when i search for the part number on their website, it pulls up this:

http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/ProductDetail.do?id=1342645606&line=MRY&itemNumber=74628&exactItemNumberIndex=0&didSearchFor=74628&bid=1240583250038&cycleCount=1226&currentPage=0

did you ever fix your valve problem?