IGNORED

What year is my Tranny??

mmagnus

I have my Tranny out of my 70 Z and need to know what year it came from. I bought the car with a 5 speed transmission which wasnt offered in 1970. I am now rebuilding the transmission and what to get clutch parts for it but dont know what year it is from. Is there a way of knowing by casting numbers?

Thanks

I have a 5-speed I took out of a 1980 280ZX. There is a # 7Y19873 stamped on the top of the bellhousing, between the two top bolts.

I also have an earlier (year unknown) 5-speed with #7(orZ)535361 in the same place.

The only noticeable difference I found was in the shift lever fulcrum length.

In the pic I have hopefully attatched, the shorter lever is out of the 1980. It measures about 1.5 in. from the center of the pivot pin bore, to the center of the lower ball.

The longer lever measures about 1.75 in.

It seems most of the people I talk to with early Z's with 5-speeds, have no idea which model Z it came out of. which means the ratios are unknown. If anyone has any info on the relationship of these numbers to model year, or any other method of identifying a 5-speed year by visual inspection, please

post. Thanks.

Phred

post-1542-14150792202986_thumb.jpg