IGNORED

Fuel Tank Question

khughes

Hi Guys,

hopefully someone here can help me out and save a few hours trouble shooting :)

I am putting the GT together to send it off to Brian in the States. The car didn't have the engine in it, but i took the working L24 out of my black parts car and stuck it in the GT.

The engine fires up beautifully when the fuel feed and return is fed from a jerry can, however when it is plugged into the proper lines, it sucks petrol, however after a short while it seems to develop pressure in the system and this prevents it from pumping more fuel, and eventually it dies.

I have tried taking off the gas cap (no help), and also running the return into a jerry can (while retaining the fuel from tank line - still didn't work).

The Engine does flow guide valve (which attaches to the right hand side shock tower on a bracket), we guessed at the connections to this (can anyone take a photo of where these 3 lines go -marked A,C,F).. one of which i assume (according to the service manual) "F" should come from the fuel tank vent cleaner.. although there only seems to be the fuel and fuel return hard lines from the front to the rear of the car.. where does this pipe usually come into the engine bay?

attached is a pic out of the manual..

post-6769-1415080667417_thumb.jpg

Edited by khughes

Thanks Nigel,

can you tell me where the rear hard line is actually going to? does it cross behind the rear of the engine then return along the fuel lines etc. ? this car only has 2 lines going back to the fuel tank that i can find (and so does my other).. i must be missing something

and where does the front hose go to?

Andrew, how did you bypass it? did you just unhook it?

Hi,

The first picture shows where the lines run, the top one goes to the air cleaner, this returns clean air to the tank when it cools.

The bottom one goes to the engine, same place as the PVC goes to, this is for when the tank gets hot (gassie), this allows the fumes to be stored in the engine, and not pressurize the tank, if you take a close look at the valve you put up, you can see how it works.

The second, third, forth, shows it going across the fire wall down to the same place the fuel lines are.

hope this helps

Nigel

post-12467-1415080668276_thumb.jpg

post-12467-14150806683167_thumb.jpg

post-12467-14150806683623_thumb.jpg

post-12467-14150806684011_thumb.jpg

nope, still no luck.. from the fuel tank the pink hose goes under the car, then disapears into the frame rail (via a hard line).. no idea where it goes then.. couldn't find any sign of it coming out near the engine bay.

can you trace that line for me from the engine bay and see where it goes?

I don't remember seeing it on my other car either when i pulled all the fuel lines off (but that car has the same style tank / fittings etc.. so it must)

Here you go,

1st one, at the front of the car,

2nd one, near the rear wheel arc

3rd one, near the rear wheel arc

4th one, is where the brake line separate from the fuel line

5th one, where the 3 lines go into the boot.

Nigel

post-12467-14150806784462_thumb.jpg

post-12467-14150806784971_thumb.jpg

post-12467-14150806785439_thumb.jpg

post-12467-14150806785834_thumb.jpg

post-12467-14150806786328_thumb.jpg

thanks Nigel,

out of interest, what year is your car? i am starting to have the feeling that the early ones were different (not that it shows in teh service manual). i only have the 2 fuel lines and the rear brake lines running to the front of the car (rubber spacers only have the room for the 3). My 74 is the same.

I will try and get a picture of mine to show the comparison of your 5th picture

The 73 I've got only had the two fuel lines running to the rear of the car.

To bypass it I just put a bolt in the return line and ran the main line straight to the fuel pump. Should work a treat.

I did have a problem with fuel fumes for a while though, I put that down to the fuel filler being inside the boot.