Air Conditioner question for 77 280Z Coupe - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Air Conditioner question for 77 280Z Coupe

Featured Replies

It's come a long way and now I am looking at the air conditioner.

For a 77 coupe, does anyone suggest a replacement that will provide more cold air and blower? Does not have to be original - looking for an upgrade here.

Thanks

I don't know much about the Vintage Air, but I can whole heartedly recommend the honda blower motor upgrade on the 240z. I did the conversion as per member posts here, and my a/c CRANKS! It used to trickle out of the vents, now it's almost like a modern unit. FWIW.

ADAM

  • Author

Can you give me details of the Honda Blower - year, model ,etc...

THanks

The Honda blower upgrade will benefit the 240Z and the early 260Z. The late 260Z/280Z already have what I fell is an adequate blower. Do you have factory or aftermarket/dealer installed air? I find the dealer installed ARA/Sanden compressor based system to be quite adequate producing vent temps in the mid 20s before cycling.

  • 2 months later...
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

I went with a blower and fan from a 91 Civic. Had to open the hole just a little but not big problem there.

Blows about 3 or 4 times harder that the stock 280z blower. Am very happy with this.

Your stock blower must have been problematic. I have a 78 with a stock fan/blower and have had no complaints in 100+ degree SoCal summers.

  • Author

May have had to bad 280z blowers then as the Civic blower was the 3rd one I went to.

Its possible.

I reacall using my hand held anemometer to measure the air speed at the center vent of my 78. It's been a couple years since I ran the test so I don't remember the exact reading but I compared it to the air speed generated by the center vent of my wife's HHR and it was comparable.

Edited by sblake01

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.