IGNORED

Dash Bulbs - We've covered this before...

mikewags

I guess that would help hold worn bulbholders but they ground through the wiring not the housing.

sblake: donesn't the teeny copper tab on the plastic-snaps (bulb harness socket) ground to the tach housing metal? the + energizes the bulb at the tip (obviously) and isn't the grounding perfomed on the bulbs' socket, touching the copper tab, then touching the tach housing...

No, because I can put power to the plug, pull the socket from the housing and the bulb stays lit. If anything, the housing serves as a redundant ground.

Ah yes. you're right. otherwise there would only be one (+) wire to the socket.... forgot there were two wires there. thanks.

and come to think of it, i did have them lit with the tach out of the car when testing. my lights flickered upon 1st attempt at installation and during the first covert-night-operations-test-drive LOL. i then wadded the bulbs and copper tab with tin foil for a tighter fit. problem solved. at that time i thought it wouuld enhance the 'redundant' ground.

you-da-man!

Edited by 7277

Hmmm...some of the bulbs will light without being plugged in so they are not touching the back housing of the gauges. Others won't light without being plugged in. I assumed that the ones that lit were designed to do that and the ones that weren't were supposed to be grounding through the metal back of the gauge, but perhaps I have some bad ground wires somewhere? It wouldn't surprise me as the car sat 20 years and had rats chewing on things at times. I'll have to take a closer look to see what I can find once the rain stops. Wish I could fit the car in the garage............

Greg