IGNORED

Pertronix Ignition and auto distributor, compatible?

Turbo7MN

Sorry I have not updated this in a while, it's been too cold to work on the car lately. Anyway, I never managed to get a manual transmission distributor. However, tonight I finally broke down and modded the AT unit. Getting the pertronix mounted was really as simple as drilling and tapping one hole. Zealous, your picture was most helpful.

The bad news is there is no way the vacuum advance will properly function after this. I had to position it in a strange way in order to drill the hole in the plate and there's no way to get that mechanism back in. In fact, I believe that the position where it's stuck is the "fully advanced" position. So I'll have to compensate for that when I set the timing initially, I guess. This is not a setup I would even consider running permanently.

Right now I have a running L28 and 5 speed sitting in my friends garage waiting to be installed, and at that point I will actually make a serious effort to get the proper distributor. But for right now, I mainly just want to hear the car start for personal satisfaction, and it would be nice if it could drive onto the trailer under its own power rather than having to use a come-along.

So tomorrow I am hopefully going to finally get it all together and wire it up in the car and see what happens... Wish me luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Since you guys are talking about Pertronix,anyone have trouble with the chessy green tape holding the magnets in place?

I got tried of the tape peeling off so I fixed it with gap filling zap-a-gap ca glue from the hobby shop. What you have to do is peel the tape back and put a dab of white paint on the magenets to maintain proper orientation,when you have all six magnets painted you can glue them in place. Way easy.

Edited by Zforce