IGNORED

diamond in the rough?

scott webb

I accidentally came across a 1981 280zx w/180,000 miles. never wrecked. owned by the same lady since new. Garage kept but does have some rust. She remebers the brakes needed work. She told me that it was driven to it's current location(ran good),but hasn't been started for two years. It feels like a steal for $500.00, but could the engine be doomed.

I grew up always wanting a z. Thanks for reading. Please advise.

Does it run? Brakes are relatively easy depending on what is needed but the fuel system in the fuel injected cars really suffer from sitting from long periods of time. Being garage kept will definately help with that however. If you have a way of starting it, I'd do that. If it's just a dead battery from sitting for two years, jump it or put a good battery in it and see what happens. $500 would really be a steal if it runs.

I bought a $500 '82 ZX off ebay several rears ago, it ran, but wouldn't stay running-it had a leaking gas tank, and a bad ignition module.

If you can start the car(take a gas can, a fuel pump a battery and enough wire to get the pump working safely) and it continues to run

I would open the tank(round access panel in the hatch floor-and look into the tank to see how clean/gooped up it is, before trying to start it.

if the tank is gooped up, drop it, clean it, flush the fuel lines, replace the filter, and give the key a blip!

Those years ago, I knew the car had $1000 worth of parts in it, while repairing and driving it was the plan, I knew I couldn't lose in the deal-you are probably in the same place

Will