IGNORED

280z motor to late 240z

blk-jack

HI , I can get a 78 280z complete , it was kissed on both ends but thinking of using as much of it as I can , mainly motor and trans. Beening it's fuel injection and ac as I was told works good ! Has new reapostery and never been overbored (motor) and is asking $1500 for it or should I stay with the L24 and also on the this 280z do the have the L28 or L26 ?

The 280Z has an L28E. It can be put in you 240Z with a lot less effort if you use your intake manifold and carbs from your 240Z. The 280Z A/C won't fit your car. The fuel injection swap can be done but it's quite labor intensive as you'll need to swap out all of the electronics from the 280Z and well as the fuel lines and find a 75-76 280Z fuel tank as the 77-78 tank won't fit your 240Z. Also, I think $1500 if kind of high for a wrecked 280Z.

Thank you Stephen for the info ! Just that I have had this Z sitting and I would really like to start to get it going , really not into bad inshape but will take some money to have it look half as good as the once post on this web . Also if you half time, any idea as to what I can use for a A/C on this 240z keeping the orgi. L24 on it ? THANKS AGAIN .

IMO you can save $ by buying an L28 and getting a 5 speed from a N/A 81-83 zx. Take L28 short block and the head from your car. If you have the flattop su's get rid of them and buy some Ztherapy su's or a good set of used round top su's. The zx 5 speed is stronger and has a better ratio spread. While you are at it change over to a 3.9 ratio r200 diff too. You should be able to do all that for $1500 or less.

• 6 months later...

Even better is the 83ZX is a L28ET, yeah you'll have some electronics to swap too, but the turbo power is well worth it if you're looking to swap. the Tranny is stronger than an S30 5 sp, really a lot of the parts are just plain better. 12years newer too.