IGNORED

Dead Battery

Chris

Okay:

I just went out side to work on the Z and changed the oil, and gaped the sparkplugs, when I then decided to balance the carbs. I found all my tools, and was getting ready to start her up. I looked in the manual it said warm it up to normal operating temp. So I jumped into the seat and turned the key... NOTHING!!! Tried a couple more times, NOTHING... Not even a solenoid would move... So I grab the VOM, and checked the battery.. 0.03v "It's dead Jim" Now what is funny, is that one week ago, I replaced the battery because it went bad.. It was dead, and wouldn't take a charge. So ran down to Sears, and they replaced it on warranty with a brand new one. I installed it last weekend, and it started right up, but it coughed and would hiccup when ever I put stress on the engine going up a hill or accelerating. So that is why I was working on it tonite.

This is what I'm thinking. I have a short somewhere in my wiring, but rather then being a dead short, it is a partial short, and has so much resistance in the short, that it has a trickle drain effect. My question to you people is in what order should I start eliminating items. The battery cables are new, and check out, and starter is new, but I need to pull it and check it out, and I guess I should pull the alternator, and check it. What about the voltage regulator? Could that be it? Was replaced 10 years ago or so. What could I check to see if it has gone bad....

HELP!!! I a man without a running Z, and this is worst than not being able to have SEX tonight.....

--- Chris

72' 240

• 1 year later...

i dont know if your z car is like mine but i have a 260z 1972 and i have the same problem...... the coughing i found to be a very small vaccum leak around the carbs.... the short i found in ththis limit switch thing created to make it so the car wont start without the seat belts plugged in...... i havnt figured it out myself on how to fix my problem..... i just unplug a batterycable for now..... just funny how you are haveing the same problem i have right now also

damion 260z owner