IGNORED

SFI-Spec Racing Damper /Timing Marks?

speedracer906

So I just installed My new SFI-Spec Racing Damper, 70-83 Z/ZX from The Z Store and come to find out the timing marks don't align with the indicator on the engine. The indicator is bolted to the engine block at 2:00 relitive to the damper and the timing marks are over at 11:00 or so when I go to time the engine.

I think the removable indicater on the engine is on the correct side and I do believe all is correct with any other bits having to do with timming. Although I will probebly never find an end to the creative changes past owners have done to this car. I debated moving the indicator over to the 2:00 position if no other solution is provided. I think the 510's indicator is over there.

I also installed the FireBall XR7000 with HEI coil and there pick up in the Distributor. NICE! The car runs so smooth. No tach though. I bypassed the old resistor and played around with any other wiring configuration I could come up with but still no Tach reading unless.....Interesting, I turn the key almost to the start position. In the start position the tach works, but scabing on a wire to the remaining wires like the bypassed resistor set of wires or another in the loom doesn't produce results in getting the tach needle to respond. So my question on this is can I axcess the correct signal to feed the tach a signal and where would that be? I would prefer to not change the tach out. Jim

The timing marks are at 11:00 on both my engines. It doesn't have anything to do with AC as one car has non factory air and the the other has factory air. IIRC, the L24 had the tab in the 2:00 position and the L26, L24E, and L28E and all post-73 engines had it at the 11:00 position. Which ever pulley you use has to be clocked to match the timing tab position. They (The Z store) really should sell a pulley for 70-73 and another for 74 amd up.

Well that would explain it. I thought I saw pictures on the web that may have shown both 11:00 and 2:00. I have yet to classify witch engine I have and assumed it was the factory engine. I suppose mine could be a L24E. so can I just swap the indicater over to the other side and expect it to work?

0 degree may be at 20 degree but at least it would have a referance point. Then I'll get an indicator off a straight up L24. (?)

It wouldn't be an L24E That's the 810/RWD Maxima engine. More likely an L24. I might be wrong since it't been awile since I worked on a L24 but I think the 2:00 position tab is different and and can just be unbolted and switched to the other side. You'll have to get the tab from a later engine to put it in the 11:00 position. You need the tab from a L26, L28E, or L24E.