hot lead burnt 240z - Electrical - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

hot lead burnt 240z

Featured Replies

I have a 1971 240z. When I was looking at the car the previous owner mentioned connecting the battery up backwards well. After trying to figure

out why the battery was draining within 30 minutes. I took out the aftermarket junk radio from the 70s and it was splice city. I was thinking

that if it was connected directly to the battery it might be the culprit.

However once the radio was out I noticed this. The main white red stripe wire melted beyond regonition. It is ok at the fuse box but after that its melted.

2397207390088293305LClBPg_th.jpg

2747946410088293305PGtuPi_th.jpg

2317095250088293305jftTWz_th.jpg

In looking at the schematics, they show a white lead coming from the starter. Mine was blue, but after taking the black tape off this is what I found.

2790724650088293305hufihK_th.jpg

My question about the starter wire is. Where does this wire go to? Is this the white wire with the red stripe that goes from the alternator to the voltage regulator to the Fusebox? It doesn't look to have a red stripe but it could be burnt off. Is this all the same wire?

Also is this the Voltage Regulator?

2410763370088293305CNFOgv_th.jpg

Ed

regarding the question about the VR no it is not the VR, it is the ACC's relay, The Voltage regulator is located in the right fender.

The blue wire you have at the starter is a fusible link, not just a plain wire.

The White/Red wire at your fuse box is actually two wires. One comes from the Alternator and it is the "feed" from there. The other is the connection for the Ammeter.

If the battery was connected backwards, the White and the White/Red wires would be the primary wires to melt down.

Lastly, that item in your last picture is an Accessory Relay.

HTH

E

The W wire comes from the starter and it goes to a fusible link and then to the Ammeter and in to the fuse box, and the WR wire comes from the Alternator, I think you should check the fusible links, this diagram might help, there are good electrical people here that might give you better help, they had help me with a lot of issues (because i am rewiring my Z from scratch)

So good luck...

post-13091-14150803737893_thumb.jpg

  • Author

Awesome thanks for the info.

Now how hard will it be to replace this wire from the fusebox to the engine area. Correct me if I am wrong but shouldn't fusable links be visible enough

to see if it is open versus covered with heat shrink or black tape?

Is the ACC short for Accessories?

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

I replace the fusible links with Maxi fuses, and ACC it is a short for Accesories, I think it'll be better for you to replace the burn wires with new ones, The WR wire as E said, are actually two wires.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.