IGNORED

Too much play in front wheel bearings

I use my early '71 as a track car. With the tracks around here, the driver's front wheel bearings take a lot of abuse. While swapping tires the other day, I noticed some play in the wheel bearings.

Tightening didn't help, so I took it apart for closer inspection. The outer bearing race had a visable shaddow where the bearings were rolling, but not really a groove that could be felt. I replaced the bearings anyway since they were about 2 years old, and like I said, it is a track car and gets a lot of abuse.

With the new bearings installed, I still get some play in the bearings. I know the races were seated well. Any ideas on what the problem could be. I need to get this fixed before a track day on Monday.

Thanks,

Marty

Hubs go out of round and spindles wear from track use. I the past I've replaced hubs every couple years. When you install new races, everything seems fine until they hub is used under load. Then the race distorts a little bit to match the hub, clearances open up, and now you have some play you can't get rid of.

Thanks for the input. That's interesting to hear about the hubs and spindles. I could see how the spindles could wear, but I never thought about the hubs going out of round.

Since I have play with the new bearings which have not had a load on them yet, I am suspecting the ball joint now. I'll have a look at that tonight.

Thanks,

Marty

Last night I was able to get one of my sons to tug on the wheel while I got underneath for a look. From that angle it was pretty obvious that the ball joint is shot. Hopefully that will solve the problem and it won't be a spindle and hub too.

Thanks for the help!

Marty

Good info, JC!

I thought I was having the same problem with my bearings until I found that when I grabbed hold of the tire and shook, I saw the entire steering rack wobbling back and forth! The bushings are so toasted, they no longer exist.

Well, I just got cleaned up after finishing this job off. When I sit back and look at the final solution, it just kinda makes me laugh. Any time you are working on the car, or any other job for that matter, ALWAYS use the the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!!!) principal first!

You guys all came with great suggestions as to what the problem could be: wheel bearings; tie rods; steering arms; ball joints; hubs out of round, spindle worn.

After I got new bearings installed; still had too much play. After I got a new ball joint installed; still too much play! At this point I am really scratching my head because that ball joint really looked like it was flexing a lot. While I was under there pushing and pulling on the wheel, looking up at everything, I see the shock shaft moving. The lock nut that holds the shock into the top strut mount had backed off!!! DOH!!! Tightened that sucker, no more movement! The solution ended up costing me zero!

Oh well, everything on that side is new so it should be in good shape for a couple more years.

Just thought I would share this in case someone else forgets to use KISS first.

Marty