IGNORED

HELP!!! Tokico Illumina install issues

Well I purchased my 71 240 about 2 weeks ago. It had been sitting and I knew it needed work. First priority was making sure the suspension was up to snuff. By the time I got home that was answered. I purchased the Tokico Illumina shock/spring set(ilk252) from jdmwerks.

I was able to get the gland nut off the strut housing and the old, blown assembly was removed. For reference my gland nut is round and not a hex. (dont know if it matters...) the build date of the z is 3/70.

When I put the new shock in the housing (#3015) and screwed on the old gland nut (now other hardware came with kit) the shock was not secure. There was about 1/16 of an inch in play up and down and it was sloppy in the tube. I had no o ring or anything between the shi=cok and the gland nut. Is there something that is supposed to keep it centered?

Also the gland nut was very tight on the old shock. My new tokicos are tapered at the top leaving the assembly sloppy.

At this point I cant tell if I am missing parts that allow this to work properly or if I have the wrong parts. The numbers match the parts list so I dont think that is the issue.

I have tried serching different threads for help. There is alot of knowledge out there but I could not find this issue.

Thank you so much.

Usually, new strut cartridges should come with the necessary gland nuts.

They should have a small sleeve on them to engage the taper you mention.

This centers the cartridge and clamps it down firmly.

In some circumstances, the insert may need a spacer at the bottom of the strut cartridge to make up any shortfall in cartridge length.

The stock gland nut is of a different design since it is intended to provide an oil seal around the strut shaft and doesn't clamp down on anything as such.

They should not be used for a cartridge insert.

In my opinion, you have parts missing:rolleyes:

Thank you for replying. The last cartridges used these gland nuts, but they are an actual Nissan part.

I think you are right. I am also missing the bump stops on the fronts. Makes me think thats why the old struts went bad. I will contact Tokiko tomorrow to see if I am missing hardware.

Tokico ships three parts witht he Tokico Illuminas:

Gland nut (use the one they supply)

Lock nut

Gland nut shim (this should take up the slack in your install)

Tokico does not supply bump stops, you should re-use the stock ones, unless they've rotted away or were tossed in a previous shock repalcement.

Well I am happy to say I have the hardware for the struts. Unfortunately the first box I opened did not have the hardware. I should have looked in the others...they had h/w. Tokico is sending 1 set to replace the missing one.

Thank you for your info. Both were 100% on the money.

I will be installing the energy suspension urethane bushings kit along with the new shock/spring setup. I believe it came with the bump stops...and yes the stock ones rotted away along with all the other bushings. Apparently the pacific northwest can be brutal to these.

Depending on how low your car is, you might want to trim the ES bump stops. They are 1.750" long. Trim them so you have at least 2" of shock bump travel at your ride height before the bump stop hits the gland nut. Trim a little from each end of the bump stop, not all from one end.

Great advise...thank you..would you say if I was lowering the z by an inch I should cut at inch off total? Or should I get everything together..roll the car back and forth, and then check spacing and cut based on actual measurements. It seems the latter would be safer, but if the other way works it eliminates some time. Thanks again for all the great help.

Gregg

• 3 weeks later...

woops...yea 3/71. gotta fix that:stupid:

I was second guessing whether to post here or in the help me area... Please forgive me if I made a bad choice, but I did decide to just continue this thread.

I have received all the parts from Tokico, and the front install has gone well. I made sure the part number 5020-f springs were used in front. The numbers are facing upward, and the smaller turns are up and get larger as they go down.(they appear to be progressive springs up front).

Anyway I am installing the rear strut housing and new springs. The problem is I can put on the upper strut housing together and tighten the bolt, but I do not have to compress the spring. As a matter of fact their appears to be about 3/8" play. I can move the spring up and down. It is very sloppy.

The rear spring is 11 1/4" tall, and all turns in the coil are equally distanced. I compared the old shock to the new ones (new part # ending in 3016). The bodies are the same, but the new shock shaft is longer than the old one by about 3/8".

It would seem the shock is the wrong part, but the part number on it does check out.

The other option is the springs are labelled incorrectly. The coils in front have 11 turns while the rears have 9. They appear to be the same height, but unfortunately the fronts are fully installed now, and I dont know how much they are compressed. The car is still on 4 jack stands and suspension is free.

I have tried to be as thorough as possible. I apologize if I have given alot of inpertinent data, or on the flip side missed something obvious. All help is appreciated!!!!

post-17118-14150803763851_thumb.jpg

post-17118-14150803763964_thumb.jpg

Anyway I am installing the rear strut housing and new springs. The problem is I can put on the upper strut housing together and tighten the bolt, but I do not have to compress the spring. As a matter of fact their appears to be about 3/8" play. I can move the spring up and down. It is very sloppy.

That's normal for most lowering springs and coil over swaps. Once you lower the car the springs will seat in the perches just fine. And no, its not something to worry about when you get the car airborne when racing at the Nuremburgring.

EDIT: Also, where you put the jackstands in the picture at the bottom of your post is not the best place. Its generally better to put jackstands between the wheelbase.

You are absolutely correct. I called Tokico today and assured me all is well. I completed the install tonight, and installed the new disc brakes. All seems good now. I will see tomorrow after we bleed the brakes, and put on the tires.

John, thank you for your insight. I have shown these photos to numerous people and noone bothered to say anything about the jackstands not being in a good place. I will change them tomorrow morning 1st thing.

I'll try to be carefull the next time I'm in Germany driving the tracks!!!! At least I wont have to worry about unseating my spring:) Thanks again!!!!