IGNORED

Need Help, Running rich...

fixxor

I went through a problem that I thought was fuel but was actually spark. At about 2000 rpms the car would shudder and shake violently, except when I had my old alternator in. I put a high output alternator in, and that is when the shakiness started.

I had a bad ground on my new alternator, and the car would be fine because of the voltage drop with the headlights on. Fixed the ground then it was always bad even with the headlights on. I figured it was the coil, and it was. Replaced it and all the stuttering is gone, and my mileage went from 14 to 20 mpg. You might just want to check the coil but Im sure someone will have better advice.

I am having pretty much the same problem with my 76 280z so I went and got a new coil. Well the car is running and has not died on me yet. I dont know about the mpg yet but I was also getting like 14 mpg. Im hoping Ill be getting 20 that would be freakin sweet!

Ya my car would be running fine then out of no where she would die... then it would take forever to get her to start. You could totally tell she was flooded out too. After about 10 min. of tryin to start her she would finally start pushing out a cloud of black smoke.... but so far all good with the new coil!:cross-eye

• 10 years later...

On 6/16/2008 at 6:57 PM, fixxor said:

Drained it, then pressure washed it with water seemed to get all the crap out. Got some fuel injector cleaner and let it sit in there a while washing it around and letting it sit in certain spots, then drained it all out and seemed to do a good job. Looked around and didn't see much of anything anymore at the bottom, but at the top there was still some rust, didn't think it was going anywhere though it wasn't much.

so it was the FPR the whole time? im having a very similar problem thats why.. 

thanks