IGNORED

firing order with photos

MEZZZ

MEZZZ, you won't hear the fuel pump turn on with the key. It is wired into the AFM as a safety feature and is operated as air moves through the inlet flap of the AFM so in the case of an accident if the engine stalls the pump also shuts off to avoid fire. That is why your not getting any reading form your multi-meter. AS for the humming dropping resistor and the hissing pressure regulator maybe Stephen can answer those, however the humming resistors and the recharge cycle of your battery made me think of another possibility, is your battery/starter shot? And... is the wire connected to the battery containing the fusible link for the injectors hooked up properly and have you drained any gas from the tank to verify it has no junk in it. I hope I haven't added any worry to your plight, just trying to go through the body of evidence with you until a solution can be found. Keep on trucking you'll get it eventually.

Dan,

thanks for the info. No, I havent drained any gas from the tank, I will do that though and see what is in there. I will test the battery as well, it has an '07 date on it. If I use a trickle charger it will crank for awhile before dying and it will hold a charge for weeks, ie, interior light, headlights,etc if I dont crank it. Obviuosly it runs down quickly with the non starting issue.

I replaced the battery cables not long after buying it and I carefully reconnected the wires going to the lonks just as I found them. I did have to splice in the connectors come to think of it so I will take a look at those as well tonight.

Well, I looked at the wires running from the battery cables and all looks to be intact, tight/clean connection. I havent yet pulled the line from the gas tank but I did pull it from the fuel filter out of curiousity. It made a hissing sound as I pulled it, eveidence I suppose of some pressure and gas leaked from the metal tubes that run to the fuel rail. Just for the heck of it, I hot wired the fuel pump again and gas shot from the gas line, filling a 16 oz cup in about 3-4 seconds.

I am looking into either buying or making a pressure gauge as Stephen suggested but am wondering if it will work if my pump is not engaging. Does the pump run in the start position to deliver fuel while cranking? I read in a search that it runs in the "run" position but my ignition has an "on" not "run".

The car will crank endlessly when I jump from my other car, would the starter still be suspect this being the case?

Sorry for the rediculous novice questions but I am learning from all this, if nothing else.

As always, thank you Stephen. I was reading the FSM a few minutes ago but havent gotten to this part yet. So, if the fuel pump runs when I am cranking, i.e. the ignition is on the run position, then I should be able to check my fuel pressure with a gauge?

As I stated before, the pump runs with a lead from the battery and pumps quite a bit of fuel from the line past the new filter. So moving forward, I will have check the pressure from there. It is strange that the car was running fine, started basically with the flip of the key and now it just cranks. I have retraced my steps and I cannot see anything unplugged, corroded, etc.

It starts for a second with starter fluid so I have to assume it is a fuel related problem at this point, or possibly no power to the injectors? Thanks again.