My 79 280ZX loses power - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

My 79 280ZX loses power

Featured Replies

Hi I am at a loss and a friend found this site for me. I have had 4 mechanics look at my car (79 280ZX) this last month and $800.00 later my car is in the same shape as I started. So, I thought maybe someone on here could assist me or they had the same issue?

The issue= I will be going along and the out of the blue her RPM and OIL gauge(needles) will drop and she wil die, BUT if I am going at the right RPM I can pop the clutch and keep going.

I never know when this is going to happen and so she sits and I hate it because I miss driving her. Can anyone help me?

Thank you

Check all your electrical connections. Somewhere in the system, the car thinks it is no longer running, and shuts down. Could be a bad connection at the AFM, or at the oil pressure sender, or anywhere else for that matter.

Don't just eyeball the connections. Disconnect, clean, and apply some dielectric grease.

Could also be crap in your fuel tank suffocating the system.

You say that several mechanics have looked at it. What did they do? Where did they look?

And this may be the most important question: Do you have a Factory Service Manual? Odds are that the mechanics you gave money to DON'T HAVE ONE, and were basically guessing...badly.

  • Author

Thank you both ZBANE and mazingerz1976 for your advise, it is much appreciated!!

Joyce

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.