Fuel cell - Open Chit Chat - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Fuel cell

Featured Replies

Question... does anyone have a recomendation for venting a fuel cell. I connected a hose to the vent fitting and ran it out through the floor in the drivers rear fender.. Lately I have noticed that it looks like fuel is either sloshing up and out through the vent, or it is evaporating and condensing in the vent. But there is obiously fuel escaping from the vent. Sorry I do not have a picture to post at this time. I can get one this evening.

I've had similar issues with my fuel cell -- usually only when it is full or near full. My vent line runs along the top and down behind (I have cut out the spare tire well and installed the cell low and have a sheet metal firewall above it).

I wouldn't think evaporation would account for any large amount of fuel through the vent. Try looping the hose up (maybe inside the fender well) before it goes down and out. It may be enough to keep any slosh from running out the tube.

  • Author

I will try that, I have also seen a picture or two that showed people having a fuel filter in the vent line. Does that sound like a good idea, or just a waste of time?

I don't know what the fuel filter would do except make sure the spilled fuel is clean :classic: (sorry, couldn't resist)

Racer Parts Wholesale has check valves specifically for this use (just thought about it and looked in their catalog). It's a 1/2" vent check valve that offers positive shutoff. Uses -8AN fittings. Catalog number FSS-ITV08 @ $12.75 each. You may be able to find something similar at a local speed shop that uses push on/clamp fittings so you don't need to adapt to the -8AN fittings.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.