IGNORED

Making a meter to check for rich or lean condition

ekaphoto

Stanley, I have enough hours in pistons aircraft to know that your flight sim leaning procedure is correct for most piston aircraft engines. I also had enough stressful moments in airplanes to know it's certainly not the most economic way to run the engines for fuel savings. I have no idea if it is a compromise for engine longevity versus maximum power though. I'd have to dig back into the books and do a little research. It's been a while. If I remember correctly it would give a slight rise in manifold pressure, or RPM on a constant speed prop so that does lead me to believe it is giving a fairly accurate measurement of increase power?

• 1 month later...

EGT's would be nice, but there's also the white paper towel method, used it today. Safer if the car's not moving. Hold it near the exhaust pipe, if it's too rich it will get a bunch of sooty spots. Lean out the mix until it's not doing that.

Tuning is a great game; there are so many variables, and so many definitions of "running perfect".

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

DLG -1 arrived. My clock doesn't work so I opted to use this location for this gauge for now. Doesn't exactly fit as well as I had hoped, but I did get it to fit in the clock housing after boring some holes for the harnesses to route through.

Preliminary testing seems to work pretty well, let the adjusting begin.

post-23609-14279445694264_thumb.jpgpost-23609-1427944585688_thumb.jpgpost-23609-14279445952675_thumb.jpg