IGNORED

carb conversion help

samzhot240

Okay so i just won a set of fairly nice 70-72 carbs off ebay with the intention of finally getting rid of my 73 flat tops. Thing is I'm not sure of is exactly what I need to make the swap. I know there are places that probably sell a kit or something like what I need but being new at this anyone out there with tips or experience with the topic please feel free to give some advice.

I'm certainly no expert, but I just put round tops on my 73, and pretty much everything just bolted right up. I know you'll need the accelerator linkage from 70 - 72, your 73 won't work. I believe you need the earlier intake manifolds and balance tube also (hopefully you got them w/ the auction). My set of used round tops came with the intakes and balance tube so I never tried using the old ones. Now you can remove all that nasty smog control stuff thats choking your car (or do you have to pass emissions in NY?).

Actually, roundtops will fit just fine on the '73-74 manifolds, so if all you got was the carbs and the center linkage you're good. Changing the manifolds can lead to a cleaner looking installation, but is not required.

One thing to watch though if you don't use the matching roundtop manifolds -- the water passages in your '73 manifolds will need to be plugged or blocked off if you are using four-screw ('70-71) roundtops. I believe the water passages on the '72 (three-screw) roundtops will match fine with the '73 manifolds.