Violent Shaking While Turning???? - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Violent Shaking While Turning????

Featured Replies

Hi All,

I was just out driving tonight with my 72, and while on a curvy road, my steering wheel just started to shake viloently while holding the steering towards the left. I tried to replicate the problem again and it only does it occasionally. I looked under the hood and the steering coupler rubber which separates the steering rod has allot of play while tugging on it by hand. Could this be the reason for the vibration in the steering wheel while turning? The car never vibrates while driving straight, even at speeds near 80mph. I always noticed the steering to be not as responsive compared to the effort I put into steering the car. As if there was some flex or a rubber feel to the turn. Any ideas or experinces which could help me solve this. It's my daily driver.

Thanks

You could be on to something they make a urethane or nylon version of the steering coupler for those looking for less slop.

  • Author

But could it be just the coupler? Any one else experience this with their 240z?

When mine did something similar to that, It was the Bearings. Replaced then and it went away. Then followed up with the Full Urethane Kit.

Don't forget to have your wheels ballanced every 6000 to 8000 miles, to make up for tread wear.

Dave.

  • 3 weeks later...

check ALL components of your front end susp and steering. ANY slop in anything will give you a shaky wheel..

  • 2 weeks later...
S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.
  • Author

Thanks for all the help.

I put the car on a lift and found out the camber adjustment was off and the bolts where actually loose. I got an alignmentand all issues I ever had has been cured. It steers and drives perfect now. Best $50 I've spent on the car.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.