IGNORED

New 240Z Owner

westpak

Thanks Carl, it was such an incredible feeling when she cranked up.

I did take my time and followed all of the recommendations you and others gave me and went a little further, I put in the ATF a while ago as I didn't know it was going to take so long to get it all together, so it sat with the ATF for weeks, then I turned by hand and it was really smooth, since I didn't know how much longer it was going to be I put a little more ATF in and then about a week before starting her up I put a little miracle oil in to give it a little lubrication since the ATF had probably cleaned everything away. I also had put oil a couple of times on the timing chain and cam.

Next up:

Fuel pump - I am going to check it out today before replacing it

Brakes- replace mc and wheel cylinders

Tires

and then roll.....

well everything is slow with this project, it is making my nutZ

Got the new fuel pump but when I tried to remove the spacer from it, it broke so then I had to order a new pump spacer, then I went on a business trip but finally got to work on her today.

I installed the new pump but still had issues keeping her running, so I used my powers of deduction and after much trial and error I realized the car was only running on the fuel I would put in the floaters so I disassembled the floaters and noticed the valves in the floaters were clogged so I disassembled them and made sure they were clean and put everything back together. I didn't put any fuel in the floaters this time and after a few seconds she started up and ran well, idle still a little high around 1k but will work on that later.

Also got all of the brake parts so hopefully we are on track now.

• 2 weeks later...

It's so great following along with the progress...it reminds me of going through many of the same growing pains- but please remember the rewards of all of that work- and all of that waiting- are so gratifying when it all finally comes together!

I just didn't have enough time (or experience) to dedicate to doing much of my engine work, although I am working on every other system on the car. And thank god I finally found my dream mechanic- which made a world of difference. Perhaps the best mechanic of any kind I've ever encountered. He solved around 6 nasty little overlapping problems in one swell foop, taught me more about Datsuns and S30's than I ever knew, but needed to, and fully answered every single question I had without making me feel like I was ever wasting his time, and finally, put such a miracle tune on it so that a month later I'm still firewalling it, and hitting what amounts to my own "semi-private" 5-mile Gymkhana course several times a day into and out of my town!

Please let us know how you're progressing. I am *so* enjoying reading about it, especially following along with the ebbs and flows of the process, reminding me how I felt at the same steps in my restoration.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

well it has way too long. As some may have seen in other threads I asked for help the engine gave me trouble with one cylinder going down which kind of derailed my plans sending me into the decision of doing the full restoration rather than just getting it driveable.

It looks like it was a valve getting stuck and getting hit by a piston, I found a shiny half circle mark on the piston that was 0 in compression, so probably got stuck from gunk and got bent.

So other things came up between the 350Z needing expensive parts plus lack of time, but after being at Zcon last year I decided to give it a shot to make this year's Zcon and started dismantling the Z.

It is taking some time as I am taking way too many pictures and bagging it all with labels to avoid having a huge unsolvable puzzle when ready to put back together.

This is resulting in finding more rust that I had not thought of, like a bunch of surface rust on the inside of the door skin, looks like the seals for the side mirror, door handle and lock just were dried up and not sealing at all so water got in.

Which brings up the question as to what some have done as it seems the gaskets are not sold separately and in addition to not sealing some have paint overspray from a previous repaint, this goes for the hatch and gas door locks as well.

Anyway, just an update and hope to have it at the body shop in the next month or so.

By the way thanks to the threads in here, I have used many to help in the disassembly and parts.

• 3 months later...

Ok some more progress, I have gone deep to the point of no return, and wondering what I got myself into LOL

Finding overspray galore so some cleaning of part needed, also more rust that anticipated in places where water snuck in, which I assume is in all S30's that you just don't see if you do not take it apart to this level and I am sure more to find, having said that I don't think I would do it any other way, this way I will have peace of mind all rust has been addressed.

This was from February

240zext1.jpg

240zint1.jpg

240zrear.jpg

Driver side tailight had the bottom bolts rusted onto the nuts, eventually got it off having to drill out the nut.

It is taking me a while as I am taking he down to bare, and I am paranoid about ending up with a million pieces so I am making notes, tagging parts and taking tons of pics to record how it goes together.

One thing I know is that I would not do it any other way, as you remove more you find how dry and brittle the seals are, like the one for the mirror, door handle and window seal, that water gets in and rust is where you can't see it and if you don't take care of it, it will show eventually.

Here is some hidden rust from water than got past the door lock and door handle, I am sure I will find more as I finish taking her apart

240zlockrust.jpg

Edited by westpak

This is from March

well got some more done trying to squeeze in when I can, here is the front end disassembly done

front_diss1small.jpg

Holy overpray batman, typical throughout the car from previous repaint

front_diss2small.jpg

And end of the day

front_diss5small.jpg

More on rust, just because you can't see it doesn't mean it is not there, this was behind the hood hinges, I wouldn't do it any other way, if you refresh a Z of this age you will leave a lot of this behind just to come back, I want this to outlast me, we will just have to see if my wallet can keep up LOL

front_rust1small.jpg

front_diss6.jpg

Edited by westpak

And this is from Today

I managed to get the dash out, probably did more damage pulling out than it had in last 40 years, but not too bad just some scuffs.

Any recommendation from anyone on how to take care of the Dash, it is in great shape, and I want to keep that way.

240zdashout.jpg

240zdash.jpg

Next week hopefully engine is out and finalize prep to take to body shop, to have it soda blasted and fixed/painted

Here is a pic after finally getting the rusted bolts on the driver side tailight, just to find rust right under it which goes with the rusted bolts

rear.jpg

rearclose.jpg

And from all of the encouraging words LOL I feel alone in here, still I got inspired and spent some time after work

240zDashout2.jpg

I feel so close

Well a little more got done, got the engine out. I think I am going to just finish off the interior, harnesses, fuel lines, brake lines, which should not take long and then to the shop to take off the drivetrain and suspension to get it on the rotisserie for the body shop.

And then start the rebuild of the engine and restoration of all of the parts to go back on

240zenginebayempty.jpg

240zcrank.jpg

240Zflywheel.jpg

240Zclutchdisc.jpg

240Zclutchcover.jpg

240zengine.jpg