IGNORED

"Blasphemy!!", Some say. & You guys are GREAT!!

2many280zzz

Gang~

I am a new user here and really appreciate the support!

So first off, I have to thank everyone who replied to help, and specifically 'sblake01', for being a super sleuth in determining the direction in which to look for exactly the car I was working on (2 Z cars under one roof). AFM was the answer-Cheers! However cryptic the answer may have been for a complete layman (there are 7 pins on the AFM connector!), I love getting somewhat technical every now and then and using Haynes' wiring diagrams and the like to figure things out (AFM pins 39 & 36 normal open connect the fuel pump once running). A year ago I would have been like, "Which two wires??". Thanks for helping and challenging me at the same time.

So to get to the real subject of this thread...BLASPHEMY!!!

The FI to carb conversion was to a Holley 390 with Clifford intake :paranoid: I didn't wan't to say anything until I at least got it running and on the road. Actually, with very little adjustment, this setup kicks A$$!! I have only a minor flat spot between primary and secondary that could likely be adjusted out with different pump squirters. I know in theory, a carb for each cylinder (think ferrari) or two makes more sense. However, this is for basic, reliable transportation of a poor med student roughly 5+/- miles a day.

Now if only we could get heat and locking doors working :rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone on here!

~Brannen

I'm glad you figured out which two wires. I have a 78 and those two wires don't exist on a 78 because it uses a different system to operate the fuel pump. So on a 78, there are only 5 pins on the connector and on the AFM, no contact points. Only 75-77 has the contact points in the AFM. I was simply going to say to bridge the two closest to the front but that wouldn't have made sense if you don't have the AFM in place. Glad the carb is working out for you. I've seen a couple of 4bbl L motors that ran pretty good. I won't knock them. Besides, I'm one of many few here that don't discount the 73-74 flat top carbs as 'boat anchors' like most everyone else does. With the right amount of thought and tinkering just about anything can be made to work.

Hi Brannen, sounds like the secondaries on the Holley are opening too much too soon, if that makes sense. Basically leaning out the air/fuel mixture and causing the bog. I am not familiar with the Holley 390, does it have vacuum operated secondaries, or mechanical? It may simply be a matter of adjusting how fast the secondaries open or adjusting the fuel delivery for the secondaries. For vacuum actuated secondaries you can experiment with different diaphragm counter balance springs in the vacuum diaphragm. For mechanical secondaries there are different activation cam profiles, as well as different nozzels. There is even a larger capacity accelerator pump. Lots of options for fine tuning. There are kits available for either approach.

For lots of in-depth info pick up a copy of Super Tuning and Modifying Holley Carburetors by Dave Emanuel. It will provide you with all the information you need for tuning your carb for best performance.