IGNORED

Current Helmet Standards

TomoHawk

In frontal impacts, the new helmets can be safer if one discounts the additional weight added to the helmet which exaggerates the effect of forward spinal impact and puts additional pressure on the HANS device. Should the HANS device fail, the resulting injury can be even more serious than with the old helmets.

In rear impacts, the expanded area of new helmets will press against the cervical vertebrae of the upper spinal cord and act as a fulcrum, increasing forward pressure and again causing potential injury, especially for drivers who do not use the HANS device.

So yes, perhaps the new helmets are safer in many regards, and no, in many aspects perhaps they are not. The driver, who owns his head, neck and spinal cord, should be the one to weigh that decision and choose which risk he will accept.

But all that is really irrelevant because my original point remains - a five year old helmet is perfectly capable of doing the exact same job it was designed to do the moment it was purchased. It is preposterous to expect a helmet to do a job for which it was never designed. Did we outlaw 1978 Trans Am's because they don't have air bags? Of course not. Air bags didn't exist then. The idea is ludicrous. The car was designed for seat belt usage and if the seat belts are well maintained, they still deliver all the function and safety that they were designed to deliver when the car was new. If Trans Am drivers want additional safety features, they can go buy a new Volvo without you or I snooping around and trying to force them into it.

Further, if no massive, quantum leap advances in helmet technology are achieved in a given five year period, do you really think that Snell will say "Well, I guess everyone should just keep their old helmets?"

Baloney. We both know better. The helmet industry will still pressure sanctioning bodies to force their drivers to purchase new ones whether any major advancements were achieved or not.

From 1990-95, the advancement of helmet technology was largely in the field of aerodynamics for open wheel drivers to prevent helmets from being sucked off the driver's head at high speeds. This was not a safety element in any way, but did they lift their helmet replacement recommendations during that time period? No.

And remember, Snell isn't the enemy here. They openly admit that their recommendations are based on nothing more than an arbitrary judgment call. When we begin attempting to force those recommendations onto others... well... that's when we have problems.

Mandatory helmet replacement - not recommended, but mandatory replacement - is a racket and a scam, and rather than participate in it, driver's should oppose it. It is wrong. The reasons given for it are lies. Its purpose was, is and always will be to artificially boost helmet sales by outlawing helmets that are still perfectly capable of doing what they were originally designed to do.

BTW, the Z's on your home page are gorgeous beyond words. I wish mine was half as good looking (and fast looking) as the ones you worked on. The blue one is especially nice.

Hey I'm still driving my high school 78 Trans Am. If I were to get in an accident with a modern plastic car what would be the outcome. I see your point for a budget racer just another expense. If the helmet is weel maintained no cracks or dings it should still be good for more than five years.

• 2 weeks later...

Isn't it great to have you high school car? :) I still have my 1980 Mustang, too. Other guys have to sit around and say "Hey, you should have seen the car I had in school. It was so cool!"

You and I don't have to tell stories... we can walk out to the garage and show them the car we had in high school. Mine still runs like a top, with a modified 302 V8 and lots of upgrades.

• 2 months later...

So as of June, 2008, if you wanted to go autocross, some drag racing, or maybe even some hot-lapping (like at Mid-Ohio during the convention) you could use an open-face M2000 or an SA 2000 rated helmet?

thxZ

Ok, I'll weigh in. I don't like more rules and regulations, but....

If everyone was responsiblem and acted with commmon sense, you wouldn't need them. However, the reality is that without regulations, you'd have bozos trying to use their old football helmet for autocross. Maybe my example is a bit extreme, but it illustrates my point.

The argument that "it's my life and I can do what I want" does'nt hold water. Even if you have no freinds and loved ones affected by your being injured or killed, it can have an effect on others around you. A few injuries / incidents and club autocross's could be outlawed in some areas.

Regarding old helmets, plastic composite materials do loose strength and flexibility with age and use. On top of that, technology get better, providing better protection.

A word from someone who has suffered head trauma in the past. I'd rather spend a few bucks every few years than take additional chances with my noggin. Medical science still can't transplant heads and brains.

Just my 2 cents.