78 280z idle problem - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

78 280z idle problem

Featured Replies

A while back I was having problems with idle and acceleration with my 78 280z. You guys gave me alot of helpful advice, and I managed to get it running really good.(It turned out to be the throttle pos. switch. I took the cover off, and bent the left contact slightly so it made contact right away, and it solved the hesitation problem.) The only problem I have now is when I come to a redlight, or push the clutch in, if the idling is above 1500 rpm, the idle will slowly climb to 3000 rpm. If I wait until the rpm's go down to about 1200, and then push the clutch in, it will stay around 1000 rpm. I checked the linkage and throttle body, and it is closed. When I start it up it idles fine. Any help is appreciated. THANKS

  • Author

Thanks, I'll give that a try, if I have to, I can take one off of my zx parts cars. I'll see if I can adjust it first. Thanks for the help.

  • Author

I was looking at my bcdd, and I felt around on the bottom, and all I could feel is two small screws that I think are phillips (I can't see in too good). Are those the ones I need to loosen. If not,how do I get the bcdd to turn? THANKS

  • 4 weeks later...
  • Author

I tried adjusting the bcdd both ways, and got it a little better, but it still does the same thing. I have a broken bolt on my exhaust manifold(rear top one at the head. Could a vacuum leak cause this? I pulled a vacuum hose from the intake manifold, and the idle went up. I am also getting a pretty bad exhaust smell in the car when the window is down.( too rich?)Any suggestions would be appreciated.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.