IGNORED

Testing the windshield washer pump - 75 280z

280z1975

I have a 1975 280z and I want to test the pump on the windshield washer bottle. Is there a way to connect it directly to the battery to get power to it?

There are only two wires coming from the pump, one that is Black with a yellow stripe and another that is Blue with a red stripe. Any help would be great on the matter.

Also, what voltage does the pump work at? I assume 12volt, but some things work on other voltages.

Ciao,

Yes, you can connect 12V directly to the pump either via a pair of leads straight from the battery [use an inline fuse just in case], or you can simply connect a fresh 9V transistor battery to the motor wires/pins.

If the pump is serviceable the 9V battery will still fire it up:classic:

Bear in mind they are not a very sophisticted pump, and the motor wouldn't even be slot car standard:rolleyes:

If it fails to pump, replace it.

Don't even consider trying to repair it, they just aren't worth the effort:ermm:

• 2 weeks later...

well that is true if you can find a new unit to replace it. maybe in Aussie land they have parts laying around for cars that old but they be hard to find in USA. However you can sometimes get those little pumps to work with some careful work. They are a a small vane pump driven by a DC motor. They are held together with some tabs that you can bend up to get things apart. DON'T JUST PULL IT APART. There are a couple of wires to the armature about the size of frog hair that you don't want to break. Loosen everything up. Spray liberaly (not democrat) with electro clean. Loosen the vanes in the housing. Turn gently by hand. If all feels well and nothing hanging up you are probably good to go. Put her back together and hit it with 12 volts.

Roger;

If you're not an absolute purist, then there are several auto parts stores that carry generic pumps that will fit the rubber mount underneath the bottle. They may end up being a bit longer, the wrong color or worst case, have the nozzles out at 90° to each other, but they WILL work.

FWIW

E

Yes, that was my thrust, aftermarket.

I wouldn't even try to get a genuine part.

Either way, I've had a few apart [can't resist the challange] and usually they are absolutely trashed inside.

Frog hair??

I dare not ask from which part of the anatomyROFLROFL

Prior to taking things all apart, have power to it and give it a few whacks with a piece of wood (screw driver handle?)..... Very often they will start working, and in some cases there will be no more problems. This has worked for me on several Zs.

Prior to taking things all apart, have power to it and give it a few whacks with a piece of wood (screw driver handle?)..... Very often they will start working, and in some cases there will be no more problems. This has worked for me on several Zs.

I'll give it a try, can't hurt it any more than it it is! .... I love the large rubber mallet method, it solves soooo many problems ...

• 6 months later...

Just replaced mine today. The new pump was slightly longer and ever so slightly fatter than the old pump. I used a small diameter drum sander to sand the inside of the rubber mount so the pump would fit, hooked up the wires to the old plug set from the bad pump and it works fantastic. Of course a purist would note the difference in the outlet orientations of the new pump versus the old, but only a purist would know.