IGNORED

one shoe was enough

do you think that the rear two shoes in our 240K are both working ???

of course No. the right shoe of the RH and the left one on the LH are

doing nothing !!!!!!!!

I opened rear drum and with the help of a hand oil pump, I linked the

system and started applying pressure ... I saw only one shoe pushed by

the cylinder ( the same one that is used for hand brake ) while the adjacent

is doing nothing !!!!!!!!!!!

<a  href=http://www.upload2world.com/pic17/upload2world_ead48.jpg' alt='upload2world_ead48.jpg'>

Is the wheel cylinder supposed to be double ended :ermm:

I believe that what it must be....

in 1999 I had a toyota crown 1974 ( rear and front brake are drum )

both have top and bottom cylinder each one has double end !!! imagine

how strong the brake will be !! four pushing points

at least our 240K, should had two pushing point ( that is why some went

to disc conversion

Either way it appears that the rear shoe is "enjoying the ride":ermm:

ha ha ha ha ha ha

the best expression .....

even you can't use it as a spare , cause it has different lining location.

Single piston design is correct.

Watch out for the manufacturer of the cylinder, the locking plates are different for the Tokico and Nabco cylinders.

Mix them up and if you do manage to assemble it the brakes definitely will NOT work properly.

Also, there are twelve points in each assembly that MUST be greased with a high temperature grease.

Single piston design is correct..

correct , but is it strong

Also, there are twelve points in each assembly that MUST be greased with a high temperature grease.

twelve !! where are they ????????

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry about delay, been away playing in the dirt.

First, the single piston design.

If you place a heavy steel band around the brake shoes to simulate the drum and then apply the brakes you will find that the second shoe is applied by reactive force.

In other words when the first shoe contacts the 'drum' it will stop moving. The second shoe is then pushed in the opposite direction against the 'drum'.

Now ALL the pressure delivered through the single cylinder will be exerted against BOTH sides of the 'drum' by both shoes and the force exerted by each will be half the total.

Is it 'strong'? Probably not ideal but the design has been used for a long time by some very respectable manufacturers on some very fast and expensive cars.

Twelve grease points per drum setup, see the attached excerpt from the 240K GT export manual. Oh yes, in this version there are only ten grease points!!

post-10015-1415080059631_thumb.jpg

S

If you place a heavy steel band around the brake shoes to simulate the drum and then apply the brakes you will find that the second shoe is applied by reactive force.

In other words when the first shoe contacts the 'drum' it will stop moving. The second shoe is then pushed in the opposite direction against the 'drum'.

Now ALL the pressure delivered through the single cylinder will be exerted against BOTH sides of the 'drum' by both shoes and the force exerted by each will be half the total.

hummmmmmmm. this scientific analysis can not be come out from a non engineer !!!!!

for that reason the cylinder is not bolted on the back plate ..

it is only fixed unfirmly by a three lock plates ( one of them is stainless steel )

I brought a magnet near to them ( one of them is not attracted )

but why stainless steel ???? does it represents more coast to the manufacturer ?