IGNORED

Refreshing a horn

matria

Thanks guys for responding.

Yes I had seen the article and a thank you to Kenny P. for writing it. There is no mention of the gasket and that got me wondering if I needed it.

The only other picture I have is also from Kenny P. and from the same series he used in the article. It is the light brown paper like material that is around the edge where the screw holes are to attach the 2 sides together. In Kenny's article one of his pictres shows just a bit of it left. I am trying to figure out what the purpose of it is. Why do the 2 halves need to be seperated by the paper gasket?

post-5231-14150800403449_thumb.jpg

That pic doesn't show both sides of the "drum" or the resonating plate which is what vibrates rapidly and creates the "honk". But it does help.

Could you confirm if the paper is on both sides of the resonating plate?

IIRC it IS on both sides, but what it does is to simply act as a soft holding material that allows the metal in the resonating plate to vibrate and emit it's tone. Similar to a guitar or piano string. Both sides of the metal get held by a softer material that allows the metal in between to resonate within the two points. On a plate such as this, it acts as an inverted speaker, which is essentially what it is.

To replicate it, you can get a folder, not the pale yellow one (Manila folder), but rather the one that you put the manila into in the file cabinet. Usually these are dark green, although I've seen brown and even fancier colors. The point is that THAT paper is perfect for this.

If you then wish to make it completely waterproof, just put the paper in between wax paper sheets, insert between 2-3 sheets of newspaper and using your clothes iron, heat it up past 130°F (55°C) it's meltpoint, and iron away. Enough of the wax will transfer to the paper to waterproof it perfectly.

Some people just use the paper without waterproofing, and generally it isn't a problem. However, it CAN absorb a dash of moisture which is why that paper you see on the horn is originally similar to a waxed thin sheet.

FWIW

E