IGNORED

Rear Bearings

Chris

I've recently pulled apart my rear suspension. And was going to replace my rear bearings, since I bought them a couple of years ago, and never installed them. Problem is, I can't get the ^#%$^ nut off. I notice that Nissan smashes it into the threads, and so it seems that you need to use a nut breaker, and just break the nut. Then buy a new one, and smash it back in. Is this how to do it? Please help.... How has anyone else done it?

-- Chris

:disappoin

Hi Chris, the axle retaining nut has a shoulder on the end which has been "staked" to the flat section machined onto the end of the stub axle. This is after the nut has been done up to 240ft/lb!

Removal is only possible after the shoulder has been freed from the flats. My method is to use a small cutting disc or grind stone and remove as much of the staked portion of the nut as possible. Then sit the car back on its rear wheels and using a long breaker bar on your socket wrench, undo the nut. The Haynes manual says "..temporarily refit the road wheel and apply the handbrake....this nut is very tight and will require leverage from a socket having an operating arm extension of from two to three feet."

BELIEVE IT!:tapemouth

Needless to say the nuts are not re-useable and the replacements must have a shoulder on them to re-apply the staking once they are torqued up to 240.