Dead Solenoid? - Open Discussions - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Dead Solenoid?

Featured Replies

So I was under the hood of my Z for the first time this season (the annual "fix the crap that went bad over the winter" session)... the agenda today included new heater hoses, so I drained everything and pulled off the return hose to the water pump... A burst of radiator fluid sloshed out and landed on the solenoid and starter below. I cautiously mopped it up and continued working...

I wrapped up and refilled everything, then went to start the car to make sure my handiwork was satisfactory.

... to my horrible dismay, all I got was "click!" ... and not a click from the engine bay either, but the click of a relay under the glove box.

I examined the voltometer, and noticed no drop in voltage, so I'm pretty sure that the solenoid's doing diddly squat.

... Is there anything else I should consider before I go and order a new starter/solenoid? (other than maybe rebuilding)... I'm really bummin', I was hoping to take the Z out this weekend. :(

Might be just a simple case of a dislodged wire on the solenoid.

Do a visual and check that the spade terminal is connected.

To test, you can jumper the starter battery lead to the solenoid terminal which should operate and thus spin the starter [out of gear and handbrake ON :eek: ].

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.