IGNORED

Frame rail carnage. Fix or forget.

=Enigma=

The car is disassembled at the moment but the alignment was fine prior to disassembly in looking at the tires that were on there for 20K miles or so when I purchased the car . This is old damage, not new. If I choose to make the repair, the car could be sitting as it is for a few weeks. If that's the route I choose to go, would coating it with some WD-40 or some grease hold me until then?

Whatever you do...do not cote it in WD-40 or grease! This will effect any coating you put over it later! Even if you you wax and grease remover and metal prep, it will not get out what has soaked into the metal. Adhesion problems!

• 2 weeks later...

If it were my car, I'd clear-coat it and carry a big mirror with me everywhere I went, LOL. The dents just add character, exactly what you'd expect from a real road warrior. The fact that they're totally rust-free would absolutely amaze anyone from these parts.

p

• 6 months later...

I used a 4 lb sledgehammer on my drivers side frame rail to straighten it out some (responding here to an old post). Attached should be an animated GIF I made from a 7 minute video I took under the car looking down the frame rail toward the front while I used the sledge with a short 2X2 drift and then a four foot long one to get more swinging room for the hammer though I am not sure the longer drift helped any.

The GIF doesn't show the many sledgehammer blows used to cause the straightening just the total result.

Mike

post-18366-14150807727434_thumb.gif

Edited by Mikes Z car
clarify