IGNORED

Volvo su's

260z

I have installed Volvo hs6 su's to my Z. They seem to be very close to the original round tops. The bore is very close to the original. And the carbs fit straight in to old intakemanifold. I ordered needles and repair kits to my carbs from England(I live in Finland) Now they seem to be workinkg o.k exept that the car hesitates a litle when I go fast in to the corners.

I got the idea of volvo carbs couple of years ago. I did some resurch and found out that there is a firm in australia that does the same thing. They sell rebuild Volvo su's that are modified to fit datsun. Check out www.sumidel.com

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks 260z that is a great link you posted. My 260 also has SUs fitted to it from some unknown source. The throat is slightly smaller than a 240Z SU.

Hopefully with that site I can figure out where the heck they came from, at this stage all I know is that they were made in England.

Do you know what modifications they make to the Volvo SUs to make them work fro a Z?

Here is some info that they send me from midelty company.

We build the 260Z HS6 carburettor from all new parts and are assembled to

the specifications required for that engine. The correct metering needles,

jets, piston springs are fitted as well as all the bowls, lids and levers to

match with original pipe work etc. HS6 and Hitachi's both have four bolt

flange.

I didn't change the bowls. I took the springs from my old hitachi flat top's!! I did order new sm needles as well as carb rebuild kits from england. It was burlenfuelsystems co and they have all the parts you can possibly need for old su's...exept datsun su's.

Volvo carbs fit straight into the datsun manifold. The throat is a bit smaller. If you can find the AUD codes in the body of your su's I might be able to tell you which car your su's came from. There are probably many AUD codes. Give me all you can find.

My carb set up seems to be working quite well. Week ago I drove 110,4 mph (184km/h) It was a 1,8 km long straight(1,08 miles) I am not a expert with adjusting carbs. Before this highspeed drive I just turned the carbs a bit richer because I did not want to melt my pistons..... The carbs are not tuned by professionals yet. I reckon that the car could do a bit more if I took it to some professional that has all the meters and stuff.