IGNORED

Fiberglass Fuel Tank Patches

superfunk

Superfunk:

While you may think that you are being lambasted for attempting a cheap fix, the problem is that the cheap fix was ALREADY attempted on your tank...and apparently it has failed.

Now you want to do a cheap fix AGAIN.

The biggest problem here is that you're into "diminishing returns".

If you grind what is left of the metal in order for the fiberglass resin, JB Weld or any other substance to attach itself properly....you're removing what little bit of metal may be left. You may open up more holes, or find what is there tearing itself up into even smaller bits. How thin is the metal? Thick enough to hold up under the weight of a full tank? (approximate each gallon at 8 pounds and you can see that 15 gallons is 120 pounds) Or will the first bump cause you to dump or start dripping gas?

If you attempt to use fiberglass resin, JB Weld or anything else....how clean do you intend on getting the tank in order to try to get it to stick? If it isn't clean AND scuffed up....that's why the original "fix" didn't work, and why it allowed moisture to creep in and continue rusting the tank.

Are you even going to drop the tank to try to do the repair? If not, then you're looking for something to shove up there.

Are you simply looking for how big a wad of chewing gum we recommend?

Or how many rolls of duct or speed tape you'll need.

Your cheapest fix, is to contact a boneyard and see if they can locate a tank to swap in.

FWIW

E

OK,

So I patched up the hole using JB Weld, Its sticking nicely. It seems that over the years with moisture trapped under there, the tank has become porous. Gas will literally seep through the metal. So i guess the tank is coming out and getting the proper work done.

Excellent, sorry to have brow-beat you on the subject.

Now your profile says you have a 70, could you elaborate on manufacturing date so that maybe amongst the rest of us we might be able to help you find a fuel tank?

It may be that someone out there has one that they wouldn't use on their show car, but would be perfectly fine for a daily driver.

FWIW

E

My bad on that one.

I really havent bothered with my profile since I registered, and it turns out I had checked the wrong year. My car was built in 3/71. From what I have been able to decipher, it is not a series one, no big deal to me, its still going to be a sweet daily driver.

Were the tanks on these cars that different over the years? I might have a lead on one out of a 74 that was wrecked from the front, tank is in OK shape... needs work but should do.

There WAS a change, but right off the top of my head I couldn't tell you when. I believe 71 to early 73 are interchangeable, but the LATE 73 and 74's due to the shock absorbing mounts for the bumpers did differ in shape/placement.

Ok, according to the club CD, 17201-E4100 or E4600 should work for cars through 7-73, however the E4600 is the one for "EVAPO", which I take to imply the evaporation tank, hence SMOG tank. Can someone else verify this?

Next, let's find him a tank!

Enrique