IGNORED

Help - 1983 280zx Timing Question

mlugo

I am new to both this forum and zcars. Having recently purchased a 1983 280zx (non-turbo) and proceeding to fix it up I have run into a problem and not sure where to go next.

I have adjusted the per the manual and now have this problem. As I increase the RPMs and watch the timing advance suddenly at about 1800 rpm the timing drops back to about 2 degress BTDC. Then it continues to advance as the RPMs increase from there.

Does somebody have any idea what might be causing this?

Thx,

Mike

hi,

I also have a 83 280zx but mine is turbo charged motor, i found that mine was doing the same and i fixed it very easily..... check to make sure that your timing is correct and then procced to check to see if the distributor bolts are tightened down all the way.... also check to make sure that the timing chain is still in good condition..... thats all i can think of..... hope to hear good news from ya

I am new to both this forum and zcars. Having recently purchased a 1983 280zx (non-turbo) and proceeding to fix it up I have run into a problem and not sure where to go next.

I have adjusted the per the manual and now have this problem. As I increase the RPMs and watch the timing advance suddenly at about 1800 rpm the timing drops back to about 2 degress BTDC. Then it continues to advance as the RPMs increase from there.

Does somebody have any idea what might be causing this?

Thx,

Mike

there is a fix that my friend told me of . It has to do with the vacuum advance and a limiter to the retard . Contact Kim Blaugh Smokyyaro@velocitus.net he is the owner of Idaho Z Car. He is a great guy and he can help . Gary