IGNORED

1973 fuel tank

J.T.

I dropped the tank on my '73 bacause it kept sucking gunk into the carb. I have the tank out and ready to be rebuilt/treated but was wondering about the numerous vent lines. Is there an easy way to replace the vent lines that go into the body of the car? Are there any modifications to the tank that could be done to remove the vent lines?

Any and all input welcome.

JT

Joe,

I removed my tank last year for boiling & resealing also. While the tank was out I replaced all of the rubber vent/emissions hoses, I believe there are three of them. I got the replacements from Motorsport and/or Victoria British.

I thought replacing the hoses was pretty straight-forward and wasn't too difficult. I connected the hoses to the tank first and then lifted the tank into place while an assistant pulled the hoses through the openings in the body.

Deleting or bypassing the vent lines can impact your emissions. Consider maintaining the complete system as designed to help keep the air cleaner.

Good luck!

Bruce

Are 72 and 73 gas tanks the same? I have a reconditioned 73 (sealed) tank and like new condition. It was given to me and mine (72) is good. Where are you? I'm in North Florida, interested?

I'm preparing to replace the vent lines in my '71. It will require me to drop the tank, but otherwise looks fairly straight forward.

If you decide to eliminate the lines (and can do so legally where you live), I think there are a few threads on that in here somewhere. But if a search doesn't turn any up, send a PM to beandip, as I know he has personally done that.

Are 72 and 73 gas tanks the same? I have a reconditioned 73 (sealed) tank and like new condition. It was given to me and mine (72) is good. Where are you? I'm in North Florida, interested?

Thanks for the offer but my tank is decent and I'm in Saint Louis so shipping would probablly be more expensive than re-doing my own. I was just curious how difficult it was to hook up the vents. I dropped the tank easily enough but the filler tube is stuck at the top and the screws on the bottom are rusted out.