IGNORED

78' 240z front bumper on a 78' 280z

An_rew

I had one on my 75 280. I took out the bumper shocks and inserted the 240 bracket into the frame. The 78 280 has bolt on bumper shocks thus not the same receptacle for the bracket. You will have to fabricate the mounts. The small bolt at the bumper ends will go into the same hole on the fender.

Good Luck.

• 8 months later...

I was looking at my "78 last night and was wondering if anyone has done or heard of anyone doing this? I understand the ramifications of replacing or modifying the "taxi cab" bumpers but would really like to pull them in closer to the body. My figuring is in doing so, they offer no more protection than a 240 had to begin with. I have toyed with the idea of getting the fiberglass bumpers off MSA, I looked at the "body kit" style and think they make the back of the car too boxy. So, in looking, I had this thought pop in my head.

I was thinking of compressing the shock mounts and pulling in the bumpers to about 1/2 inch of the body. That only leaves the rubber end pieces to deal with. If I was to take them off, the ends of the chrome bar would show, so I thought if I was to carefully cut the "ridged" part out, it looks like they would line back up. I would pull the bumpers in about 4 inches or so this way.

I am thinking of trying to find a bumper end and experimenting with this, hust wondered if its already been tried.

It looks like the front bumper would pull in very nice especially. Any thoughts?

I haven't tried it, but I have seen the rubber pieces repaired at the bellows with fiberglass cloth and resin. A little "liquid rubber" was used to mask the joint. What you will be doing will put more stress on the front of the car in a light accident. I had the 240 bumpers on my original Z, a 75 280. They would bend in a light hit rather than transferring the hit into the front frame members. The original 280 mounts take the hit in the gas filled struts (light bumps). Good luck.

My 78 presently has the MSA front spoiler with molded in bumper. I have the rear piece sectioned to remove the rear valance and moved closer to the body by one inch. Just for looks, but I am taking them off and using them on a 76 280 in which, I am installing a 5.0 Ford engine and T-5. the 78 will get its old bumpers back because I intend to use it for commuting to Atlanta and want the protection.

ecp48, thanks for the reply. I dont blame you for wanting the protection driving around Atlanta, I was down there last week for business and its crazy down there!

I understand I will be losing a certain amount of protection, but am willing to give a little to get a better look. My logic is the same in using the MSA front spoiler you use with the molded in bumper. IMO, it offers no more in the way of protection. I like the look of it but dont like the look of the rear at all, it makes the car look to boxy. I toyed with the idea of going with the MSA part up front and going bumperless in the rear altogether, but them I have ) protection, altough I have to admit, I like the look alot of our Z's with an exposed rear :)

I'm still redoing the interior and probably wont get around to the exterior until the spring due to the cold weather approaching. I might get it all stripped down and ready for paint in that time, just kicking around some thoughts.