IGNORED

Rookie Restorer - New to Club

73Z in TX

First, I want to introduce myself to you guys. My name is David from College Station, TX. I bought a 73 240 about 6 months and decided to start a new hobby. I've been lurking in the background for about a month or so up until now. I've learned a lot reading the various posts on the site - it's been very helpful, thanks!

I'm learning as I go and I've hit my first (of many, I'm sure) bump in the road. I'm having difficulty figuring out how the rear hatch strut is attached to the car. It was missing from the car when I bought it. I've bought a replacement (attached) but cannot figure out how to attach it. I've read earlier posts, but I'm still lost. Seems like I need some bracket. Can someone give me some advice and/or post a picture?

Thanks in advance.

post-13682-14150799603124_thumb.jpg

David,

From the picture you've posted, the top of the strut connects to the inside of the hatch with two bolts. The lower section connects to a bracket on the left side of the hatch opening with a single bolt and nut.

In your picture, it appears the lower bracket is already attached to the strut. It's supposed to be welded to the inner hatch on the cars body.

Hope this helps, I can post some pictures tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

Bruce