IGNORED

Dome Light Help

ktm

I recently purchased a new dome light to finish off the interior of my Z. The car did not come with a dome light when I bought it. I have power to the correct wires per the FSM wiring diagram (R/L wire - constant 12V) and there is a ground with a female plate connector in the same harness, as well as a R/B wire (ignition 12V).

The dome light I bought from MSA has two female plate connectors. If I hook up the connectors to the R/L and I ground the other, the light turns on - a good sign. However, I can not turn the light off by pushing on the dome light. The light only has two plate connectors. By looking at the switch mechanism, it appears as though I should be able to hook another ground up but there is not a connection.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

The ground wire or switch wire (wire that allows the switch to operate the light) is not an exposed tab. It connects to the assembly, on the back side, on the oposite side of the the switch itself. I'll repost in a minute with a picture of the wire connections.

Be right back,

Dave.

Wow, that picture really clears it up. As I see it, the R/L wire connects to the thin plate connector; the R/B wire connects to the wide plate connector; the B wire with the male connector plugs into the recepticle.

Why doesn't the FSM wiring diagram show the R/B wire connecting to the light?

Thank you for the help.

Why doesn't the FSM wiring diagram show the R/B wire connecting to the light?

Thank you for the help.

No problem, and I usually stay away from the FSM. Hands on or taking pictures as I go seams to be the best way. But there's always classicZcars for all the other unanswered questions ya have.

Good luck,

Dave.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 years later...

Necroposting my own thread for a good chuckle. I just rewired the rear of the car; the front and dash were rewired 4+ years ago following a fire scare caused by a short. I spent 14 hours rewiring the rear and by the time I got to plugging the dome light back in I forgot the arrangement. Sure enough, I duplicated my same mistake from earlier.......

A quick search on Google reveals that I do not learn from my own mistakes!

FYI, no need to go with LEDs for the tail lights. I upgraded all my sockets to Dorman 85881's with dual filament bulbs and converted the tail lights to JDM/European operation, as well as added an additional brake light to the tail light only section thanks to the Dorman 85881 connector.

• 3 years later...

I have the same issue but I bought the z car depot LED dome light and it only has 2 wires from it.

So how do I wire that when I have 3 for the original dome light? What a complicated wiring setup.

I bought a colored elec diagram on the line, had it blown up huge and laminated. And I am still going insane because it just doesn't seem right.