IGNORED

280zx power steering in a 280z?

s14280zx

I just bought a 78 280z 2+2, and it has manual steering. I have two 280zx parts cars and was wondering if it would be possible to swap the power steering to the 280z? Did the 280z ever come with power steering at all? What parts would I have to swap if this is even possible?

280Zs didn't come with power steering. 280ZXs had two types of power steering both of which would be difficult if even at all possibele to put in a S30 because of the location and design of the components. The first 280ZXs had worm and roller power steering. I guess you could count those out because that would be a step backwards in my opinion. I don't know when the changeover took place but the later 280ZXs did have rack and pinion power steering but the rack is located behind the front axle unlike the 280Z where it is in front.

I to have pondered doing this upgrade, but have sidelined it for the million and one other things I want to do to my 280z.

You might find the answer you need using the search feature on this site, or another Z site, Hybrid Z @ http://forums.hybridz.org/ ... this site deals more with the upgrade and modification of Z's as apposed to this site which is more the restoration aspect. Both sites do cross a little into the others strong points at times though, so they are both worth searching.

Hope this helps.