IGNORED

if its not one thing its another..

jmeti000

ok guys, here we go....again.. i just cleaned my fuel tank, put a new pump, filter, and injectors in it...even a clear filter before the pump so i can see what crap is still flowin out the tank that i missed.. anyways, the darn thing doesnt like to start now, hot or cold. if i shut it off and go to start it again, it will start just fine. but if it sits for a few min its like pulling teeth. once its going it runs like a champ..granted there is still a lil bit of stuff comin from the fuel tank, but the filter before the pump blocks what little there is, and it didnt make a difference anyways, even with all new filters and a new pump all at the same time. its the same thing no matter what...and the kicker is it started fine before i did all this stuff. ive checked the hoses for kinks too. i really have NO clue why its draggin arss pushin fuel to the engine on the startup...any ideas?? electrical?? i dunno....oh, btw, its a 76 280 efi. and i was trying to find the relay for the pump too, but the picture blows...where the heck is it!!

What pump did you use? I only ask because my experience has led me to the conclusion that the only way to go is OEM. Your situation sounds like your car isn't holding enough fuel pressure to start and has to fill the lines and fuel rail each time you let it sit. After market pumps are notorious for that. Especially the ones sold by Autozone and Kragen. (Master E8312). They're junk. A bad check valve on an OEM pump will also exhibit the same symptoms.

ok..after looking in a different direction (upwards to be exact), i noticed a small leak coming from my sending unit..not enough to run everywhere, but enough to dampen the ledge of the fuel tank...would this possibly be causing the loss of pressure after it sits for a while??

ok..after looking in a different direction (upwards to be exact), i noticed a small leak coming from my sending unit..not enough to run everywhere, but enough to dampen the ledge of the fuel tank...would this possibly be causing the loss of pressure after it sits for a while??

Any leak, no matter how small, is still a leak and causes the fuel pressure to drop. Do a pressure check between the fuel filter and fuel rail and note the pressure while running and after turning it off.