IGNORED

Wtf

240kconvertible

I was happily reading the Sep-Oct 06 (latest) edition of Unique cars when I happened upon a small article which left me a little bewildered.

the article read like this, word for word and was at the top of page 39

-the pretty mid-60's Nissan Silvia 1600 sports coupe was largely hand-built in small numbers and sold in Australia for the premium price of $4390. Despite their high cost, some 49 Silivias were sold here before production ceased in 1968 after 554 cars, making Australia the Silvia 1600's largest single export market and enshrining the car's rarity and ultimate collectability. Shannons had an original 1967 Silvia up for auction on Sep 4 which sold unreserved for an excellent $7500. :eek:

Now i'll be the first to admit that I don't know much about the value of old nissans or any other model/make for that matter, but this seemed really cheap to me. I was offered around 8-10k for my vert a few times while it was on the road and i wouldn't value it as worth half as much as that Silvia.

What is going on here guys?

How can a car which was made in such small numbers sell for such a pittance and how can Shannons say it sold for an excellent price?

If anyone ever see's a car like this for sale can they please post details on this thread as I would've bought this Silvia had I known it was up for auction and had an idea of the price it would go for.

Yep, they're not really worth very much.

Why? People like looking at them, but not many actually want to own one. Too rare for their own good? I'd imagine they'd be bloody hard to find parts for. They're worth quite a bit more in Japan where they appreciate their own classics a bit more...

Craig has one , maybe he'll chime in :)

In Japan you'd pay $30,000 or more for a good one.

I'm not sure why the difference in value in Australia. Probably its just that no one knows what they are.

Maybe the price is based on the (Red?) Book value, which really doenst take into account rarity or collectability. The just see it as a 40 year old Datsun.

I think the going rate in Aus is about the same as a Roadster. Parts aren't that hard to find, apart from interior and fittings (indicators, badges). Mechanically the are the same as roadsters. The Roadster later inherited all the improvements which appeared first on the Silvia (1600 engine etc).

If James bond had driven a Silvia instead of a 2000GT, I expect you would be paying hundreds of thousands for them.

I found the car on the Shannons site.

http://www.shannons.com.au/pages/auctions/lot.jsp?id=Q5OB1953CZCR99FF#

Goertz's input to the design of the Silvia is less then he made it out to be, as with his input into the design of the 240z.

Some things that arent right with this car:

The car has a roadster steering wheel and the gear lever boot is not original.

The carbies are not the original silvia ones.

The air box has been hacked open.

It has 240K front indicators.

It has Bluebird TRX mags.

There was one on ebay a while ago, the bidding got to $12,000 I recall, but the reserve wasn't met. It was in worse condition that this car. (hadnt been driven in years, needed a restoration, but had some spare parts).

Theres a Silvia for sale in Japan I found on the weekend, though the asking price is around AU$34,000.

Scroll down the page till you see the Japanese Flag http://www.catsfactory.com/ensuu.html

Couple of old skylines there too if anyones interested importing a car from Japan.

Also in the shannons Austion there was a Honda S600 that sold for $2400.

http://www.shannons.com.au/pages/auctions/lot.jsp?id=DD254GV240NFKO12

And an XA Falcon GT that sold for $46,000!

http://www.shannons.com.au/pages/auctions/lot.jsp?id=DAFFH9U179I54V56