IGNORED

E31 vs E88 intake

McZ

On the Datsun Z Garage site he talks about the E88 and N36 carb intakes, says heard of E46 but not seen one. My '70 Z has the E46, does anyone know what is different about it?:cross-eye

Howdy,

I have recently become interested in the different intake manifolds as well. From what I can tell the E46 manifold came on '71 series I & series II 240z's, I haven't check a '70 series I car yet but it may have one to. Which means it could be attached to either an E31 head or a E88 head. But the real key is the carbs that are attached to the respective manifold! The E46 manifold was used with the "4 screw" dome top SU carbs and the E88 manifold started with the later "3 screw" dome top SU carbs on the '72 or series III (as Carl Beck would say) 240Z. I do have an engine with each in my garage, as well as the legendary E36 manifold. From what I can tell visually the E46 and E88 look very similar the obvious difference is that the E88 is plummed for coolant to be delivered through the base of the carbs. This is also the second most obvious difference between the "4 screw" SU's and the "3 screw" SU's (the difference in the number of screws mounting the domes being #1.)

Either should work on either carb setup. I think the main difference being the E88 with the "3 screw" SU's may warm up a little faster in colder temperatures. With the E46 and the "3 screw" SU's the water passages in the base of the carb will be wasted, while with the E88 manifold and "4 screw" SU's the manifold water passages will be blocked. I don't know if there would be a problem with leakage!

I am leaving in the morning to take a long weekend away from the garage and the computer for the independence day holiday but will try to remember to take a closer look when I get back!

Have fun!

Just to confirm Royce's post, I have a '71 Type-1 (built 12/70) that has the E88 head, E46 intake manifold and 4-screw round-top SUs. Don't have a comparison for the warm-up speed, but can tell you mine takes awhile to get up to temperature and really doesn't like to "go" until warm - cold start REQUIRES choking.

My Z is a Series I (built 7/70. Hey, it's its birthday!ROFL ) It has the E31 head and I'll check this weekin on the number of carb bolts. Happy 4th to everyone!:)