IGNORED

Used parts condition/evaluation

hls30.com

How do you evaluate the condition of used parts?

Here is how I grade used parts. <O:p</O:p

The lower the number the more time and materials it will take to put the part in exlempory shape suitable for use in a stock class show and gold medalion winner-with no loss in points.

<O:p</O:p

10) Plastic parts need only to be mounted. If they are not NOS then they are as perfect as the day they were issued from Nissan, sheet metal parts need priming and paint and have absolutely no damage(in many cases better than what came from the dealer).

<O:p</O:p9 ) Plastic needs only light cleaning, or very slight attention to be a 10. Sheet metal may have sanding scratches in the current paint that need to be filled, or paint that needs to be feathered or removed, but no rust, dents, perforations, previous repairs or other damages.

8) Plastic needs thorough cleaning, fine scratches polished out, and maybe some touchup to factory applied finish(silver paint) Sheet metal will have three or fewer small(less than 1" diameter shallow dents(less than 1/8") in the low relief Non-transitional areas(dents are only in flat areas or low crown areas, not on edges, corners or ridges)

7) Plastic has a small few dents that can be massaged out with careful use of heat or solvent, and maybe some touchup to factory applied finish (silver paint). Sheet metal may have a several small dents (1") but they are shallow(less than 1/8"), it may also have slight powdery surface rust, but no rust in hard to reach areas, and no pitting.

6) Plastic has hairline cracks, but NO missing pieces, it could be repaired with careful application of adhesive. Sheet metal parts may have larger dents in non-transitional areas, and slight rust scale, but no rust in hard to reach areas.

5) Plastic parts have scratches or gouges that require filling in addition to hairline cracks and will require a complete repaint. Any previous repairs are not cosmetic issues when the part is installed. Sheet metal has large dents or dents in transitional areas, some pitting from rust, and some rust in hard to reach areas.

4) Plastic parts are broken in a piece or three, but all pieces are included (metal trim may be slightly deformed-no creases), and will hold glue May have previous repairs that need attention. Sheet metal parts are rusty and dented, but do contain many areas that would be devoid of damage and suitable for patch panels.

3) Plastic parts are broken and there are a few small pieces of plastic are missing(metal trim will be creased), may have previous repairs that need attention. Sheet metal will have a couple of areas suitable for patch panels.

2) Plastic parts are missing several pieces (may include metal trim), may have previous repairs that need attention sheet metal will contain an area suitable for a patch panel.

1) At least the parts came from a Z!-missing or dented more than not, may be a restoration candidate one day, but not in my book!

I have been collecting parts for 24 years, and some ebay sellers have claimed that the sheet metal and plastic parts are so scarce that my scale is out of touch. <O:p</O:p

The scarcity of a part has NOTHING to do with the condition of a part in my book. Scarcity does have to do with the minimum acceptable condition.<O:p</O:p

I bought three hoods in the last three months of last year for $75 or less that were an 8 or better with one being a 10, If I can find three hoods in that shape in three months, in the Southeast, then parts in this condition are out there. That is not to say all parts are that way, but, if a part is truely scarce, I will accept a lower quality part, but it is still a lower quality part! I recently bought a JDM '72 fuse box cover/console lid assembly-a part I have spent several years looking for-it is a solid 8. It needs cleaning, some slight buffing, and the chrome accent on the beauty rim needs to be repainted. It is as rare a cosmetic series two part as I believe there is(here in the USA), but it is still an 8 as I received it.<O:p</O:p

Will