IGNORED

Civic blower motor on a 240z

lan240

I have a write up on my home computer, at work now. If I remember correctly the benefit is more air flow, faster fan speed I think. It sounds like almost a direct bolt up with maybe a minor wire modification. I happen to have a '90 Civic and the blower motor does look the same from the outside!

I'll try to find the document I have and post it!

Have fun!

Blower motor?

Isn't that some crazy american anti pollution / power robbing device (AKA Air pump)? or are we talking about the fan inside the car to demist your windows?

the only blower motor on aussie cars it the latter.

supercharging, now thats a completely different issue:classic:

Yeah well you see some crazy stuff on the internet.

I saw a starion owners website. He obviously knew a lot about autocad and nothing about turbos and engines.

He'd designed and rendered a drawing of an engine, and he'd modified the turbo to be driven by the flywheel, via a gear wheel, instead of the exhaust gas turbine, and was asking what people thought about it. ROFL

Here is the copy of a post from the IZCC regarding the Civic blower motor upgrade. Since I have not attempted the swap I will be just a messenger on this one and give credit where it is due.

"Since my post about 240Z A/C, many people have contacted me about the details of my A/C system, especially the blower motor. I am using a blower motor / cage from an '88 Civic hatchback. It is a drop-in replacement! Three screws, two wires, and you're done. No cutting, no drilling. The holes on the backing plate are a little bigger compared to the 240Z, which I compensated for with rubber washers from a hardware store. The Honda blower motor is cosmetically different - satin black finish mounting plate, and bare metal motor housing. Could be painted flat black to look stock.

At the junkyard, I found several different late '80's and early '90's Hondas that use the same motor, but I just happened to pull one from an '88 Civic Hatchback.

You can also get the fan resistor from the Civic if your's is

shot.

The 280Z 160W blower motor is also an upgrade for the 240

blower, if and only if you swap the cages. The Civic blower motor / cage is favorable because it fits perfect, and performs a little better than the 280Z motor. Much better than the

240 blower.

Sean

73 240Z

Tucson, AZ"

Hope this helps!

• 1 month later...

i got a 90 civic blower at the junkyard for 35 bucks(original new part costs $198.00) I installed it and it fit almost, i had to widen one bolt hole about 2mm and then it fit right in there, its way faster and quieter. I have a problem with the duckwork in my car though and get way to little air from the vents......wondering what to do to fix this. Any ideas?

Tony

zcarsrock!

<snip> I have a problem with the duckwork in my car though and get way to little air from the vents......wondering what to do to fix this. Any ideas? Tony zcarsrock!

You will have to remove the glovebox, heater/vent faceplate (just the faceplates - not the cables/levers, and center ducts;

and behind all that is the main "air duct". It will be a filthy, dirty rectangular box. Ports off of the left and right (maybe others) will branch off to defrost and outboard vents.

It's up to you what ducts you want to pull out, clean, re-install from there.

Just be advised, that most of these ducts were light-weight, interlocking molded plastic that were molded in such a way as to snake thru/behind the IP, behind the glovebox, etc.

You need to make sure you re-install it exactly right, else you could dislodge it by re-installing the glovebox - or having it disconnect on it's own after you fire up the fan. Or be so pinched off that no air flows thru it.

Not a tough job, just time consuming. And it would help if you have long bony arms with multiple joints.