Float Needle & Seat - Help Me !! - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Float Needle & Seat

Featured Replies

I am putting my rebuild kit on from Ztherapy and noticed that my old setup on my 72 carbs had 2 different length needle/seats. Where as the rebuild kit from Ztherapy has both of them the same size. Does this sound right and do I just adjust the float accordingly? I sent Bruce a note, but wanted the quickest response.

Tx,

Bill

adjust the floats to the correct height regardless of the pivot height.

IIRC, there are three sizes/lengths to the 'ears' that hold the pivot pin. the kit should have extra washers to build up the needle valve if you need to.

  • Author

I am a bit confused due to the different lengths that I removed, but the same lengths in the kit. I did not get extra washers in the kit, but can easily adjust the floats accordingly. Just wanted a sanity check on what I was installing. Are both needle/seat sets supposed to be exactly the same?

Bill

from what i remember in my ZT kit, yes.

floats will adjust to same height, but might require a little more fussing with to keep the float tops parallel with the chamber covers.

Originally posted by: mlc240z

from what i remember in my ZT kit, yes. floats will adjust to same height, but might require a little more fussing with to keep the float tops parallel with the chamber covers.

The '72' float bowl lids had two different size float 'ears'. Why, I haven't a clue but possibly to correct a problem they discovered with the older SU's or maybe just to make them work a little better. Who knows.

Anyway, you shouldn't have to bend the crap out of one of your floats just to make it work. I would either send the incorrect one back and get the right one or just use your old one if it's still good.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

not too much bending, just small adjustments to change the angle and keep it parallel with the cover.

I'm not saying that it can't be made to work. I do however think that when you spend your hard earned money for something, you shouldn't have to settle for anything less than what you expected to get.

He shouldn't have to improvise unless the part he needed was no longer available.

  • Author

Bruce from Ztherapy said that is how they send them. Not sure why, but hey. I just rewatched the video and Scott says that the "long" ears are on the rear carb. Is that right?

Tx,

Bill

  • Author

Also, just as a double check on the float ear sizes. Do the long ears go on the rear carb. I have the short ears on my rear carb, so it appears that the previous owner rebuilt the carbs and reversed the float lids. The ZT video says the long ears are on the rear carb. Just want to recomfirm before I put them on the car!

Tx,

Bill

Yup, long goes on the rear carb.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.