IGNORED

Crank Pulley

rclayton12

I was driving home one night, and my temp was over all the way, so I pulled over and the back part of my crank pulley was loose from the shaft part of it. The crank was spinning, but the part with my belt to my alternator and water pump was not. Does anyone know how to fix this, can I weld it back on, or if I have to replace it, how do I go about it. Also where can I find another one, mine has air pump, fan, alternator and AC compressor.

-thanks

There is a "key" that prevents the pulley from spinning on the shaft. This key is a square piece of metal about 1/4" X 1/4" X 1 1/2". There is a groove in the crank and the pulley where this key sits. If you spun the pulley on the shaft there is a good chance one or both are dammaged. Remove all your belts pull the pulley and inspect. If you can replace the key and there is no play when you put the pulley back on then you got lucky. On the other hand (worse case scenario) you might need to replace the pulley and have the crankshaft repaired.

Also you mentioned that your car overheated, not good. The head has a tendancy to warp when it overheats. After you repair your pulley and you get her running again keep an eye on how your car is running. If it starts to run rough, blows steam out of the exhaust pipe, or coolant will spill out of the overflow hose then you know you have problems.

Good luck.

Thanks for the help. The part that came loose was because the rubber inside of it wore off, no damaged crank shaft or anything. I talked to a z world guy about the pulley. My car had the dealer installed AC, so they had a different pulley put on. They guy told me to just go with the two belt pulley and leave off the compressor and the air pump. The radiator fan, water pump and alternator would be on the 2 belt pulley. He recommended me just buy a new one because if I get one out of a junker, the same problem will happen later. Does anyone know any someone besides MSA that sells new ones because it is about $224 for theirs.

Thanks for the help. The part that came loose was because the rubber inside of it wore off, no damaged crank shaft or anything. I talked to a z world guy about the pulley. My car had the dealer installed AC, so they had a different pulley put on. They guy told me to just go with the two belt pulley and leave off the compressor and the air pump. The radiator fan, water pump and alternator would be on the 2 belt pulley. He recommended me just buy a new one because if I get one out of a junker, the same problem will happen later. Does anyone know any someone besides MSA that sells new ones because it is about $224 for theirs.

There are several threeads about this. Use the CZCC search box & type in 'damperdoc'. That should get you to a thread with links to the other threads that have useful information about this issue.

NOTE: The link to the damperdoc URL listed in the thread is no longer valid.

You can go directly to THIS WEBSITE and click on "Harmonic Balancers".

FWIW, the dealer won't give you a 3 YR Warranty like Damper Doctor will.

IIRC, the part that drives the ac compressor was actually mounted on a stock pulley when they did the dealer air on the early cars. Mine is a 78 with dealer air but no smog pump so it has a two row pulley. What year is your car?

My car is the 1973 240z. The car has one pulley designated to the air pump, one to the ac compressor, and one to the water pump and alternator. I gave the damper doctor a call and although he didn't have the exact kind of crank pulley i needed, he is going to replace the rubber inside that holds that third pulley on, and it also comes with the 3 year warranty. Thanks for recommending him.