IGNORED

Not Starting!!? need help...

Helldog

Hey I got another 77' z not all that long ago that was in non-running condition. They guy I got it from let it rot on his driveway for 3 or so years. The motor had supposedly been "rebuild" or something like that and all that needed to be done was put the motor back together and it "should run". I got the car for 100 bucks so I wasn't complaining... Well, I got the parts i needed...couple nuts and bolts and an old radiator..nothing much really. I just bolted the intake and exhaust manifold back up...made sure everything was connected...changed the oil..new fuel filter...got new plugs...changed out the old gas with new gas....

Anyways...So it's all ready to go and when I go to start it it cranks pretty loud but I mean it sounds like it should start but it doesnt. So i figure it must be fuel...so I disconnect the fuel line to the fuel filter and turn the ignition on and find out no gas is even coming through there. Now I'm not about to take apart the whole fuel rail because we all know that's not fun. When I was trying to start it..I could smell gas coming from somewhere but I couldn't locate it. I'm thinking that my fuel pump isn't working so can someone tell me how to check?? Is there a way to fix fuel pumps?....Or does someone think it might be something else?? Should I disconnect a fuel line right by the fuel pump and see if that works?? I'm kinda stuck in a rut right now and I'm not too sure where to look here....maybe someone here knows.

I would just liek to get this car running for now until I have the money for the rb swap.

i put my car back after i replace the head gasket and try to start it not happen just crank so i did not want to **** up the starter so i pull out the fuel line and it was dry no fuel was pump and i was think the lines where clog,and i found out that there efi relay under my car that justs hang there and maybe my afm gone if i will like to know if someone can help me thanks bye

helldog , You did say that this is a '77 but is it still running injection or carbs? If the engine , if injected, does not received pressurised fuel to the injectors at start up the engine will not start. Find the source of your fuel leak , first . Then see why the pump is not working , properly . There is no fix for the fuel pump , however check that the filter at the pump is not clogged . Or the pick up inside the tank is not blocked with rust or crud . If you have compressd air , blow air through the pick up coming from the tank while you are checking the inline filter . I dident ask , can you hear the fuel pump running when you turn the key to start the engine ?

It is fuel injected and I can tell you I don't remember hearing the motor running. I did smell gas but I don't think the motor was running. How do I check the pick-up? don't I have to drop the whole tank to do that??