Quick Ball Joint question? - Suspension & Steering - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Quick Ball Joint question?

Featured Replies

I'm trying to refresh my memory on a couple things as it's been so darn long :) Only thing I'm stuck on is Ball Stud Turning Torque. In the FSM it says to check Ball Stud turning torque with nut in place.

Turning torque:

New Parts (65-109 in-lb

Used parts (More than 43 in-lb

This is all it says about turning torque in the FSM that I can find? Can anyone shed some more lite on this for me?

Thanks in advance :)

That's one way of checking the condition of the ball joint. Just screw the nut down on the shaft until it bottoms and use a torque wrench to check how hard it is to turn the ball in the socket.

Clymer manual says this:

Transverse link (i.e. control arm) to ball joint bolts 35-46 240Z 44-51 260Z

There's a procedure for checking the ball-joint end-play, which I can supply if you need it. (Part of the inspection of existing joints.)

Assembly: Install the ball joint on the transverse link. Tighten the installation bolts to specifications (per above). Install the knuckle arm on the ball joint (Fig. 21). Tighten the nut to specifications and secure with a cotter pin.

Figure 21 just shows a torque wrench on the nut where the cotter pin goes, but I can post it if you need it.

Steve.

Transverse link (i.e. control arm) to ball joint bolts 35-46 240Z 44-51 260Z

PS: Ball joint nut: 40-54

  • Author

Got it. I figured thats what they meant was by simply bottoming out the nut on the ball stud to check how hard it turns but I Just wanted to confirm that. :)

Thanks again fellow Z nuts :)

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.