IGNORED

Removing Rear Window Louvers

jharmon

Hi, all.

I have a '78 Z with dealer-installed rear window louvers. I'm thinking about removing them. Were they actually glued to the glass? It looks like one long strip at the top (where it's hinged) and two shorter strips on each side for the locks.

They must be glued on really well because they've lasted 27 years. Is it something I can do? Or am I getting myself in trouble by trying. Would the glass need to be replaced?

There is no problem with the louvers. I'm just not a louver kind of guy. :)

Hi, all.

I have a '78 Z with dealer-installed rear window louvers. I'm thinking about removing them. Were they actually glued to the glass? It looks like one long strip at the top (where it's hinged) and two shorter strips on each side for the locks.

They must be glued on really well because they've lasted 27 years. Is it something I can do? Or am I getting myself in trouble by trying. Would the glass need to be replaced?

There is no problem with the louvers. I'm just not a louver kind of guy. :)

I had to remove louvers from my '78 because the rear hatch is leaking (still havn't quite figured that one out). Mine were double-sided-tape attached. They came up pretty easily after all those years with a putty knife, and then I had to use some solvent to get the residue off the class. Worse, however, was where the metal had been slipped under the rubber seal, there was a nice gap left after I removed the metal. I sealed the gap up with a flowing glass sealer, but I still have a slight leak from somewhere.