IGNORED

Replaced all front PU bushings - have slack in Rack???

kcdc

Hi,

I've replaced all my front bushings w/ poly ones & powdercoated all the parts as well. I've got everthing re-assembled and when the wheels are in the air (no suspension load) I have lateral play that comes from the rack.

Is the rack supposed to have any play when it does not have a load, or do I have a rack problem?

I did searches & found one good article on rack re-builds, but no mention on play in the rack

Thanks in advance for your help...

KCDC

Keith

Play in the rack...is the play between the rack and the chassis or the internals of the rack? If the play is internal to the rack, it can be adjusted with that big slotted adjuster screw. Get a factory service manual if you don't already have one, for adjustment specs. If the play is between the rack and the chassis, for bushings are to be questioned! Of course there are other factors like ball joints and steering knuckles to address as well.

Play in the rack...is the play between the rack and the chassis or the internals of the rack? If the play is internal to the rack, it can be adjusted with that big slotted adjuster screw. Get a factory service manual if you don't already have one, for adjustment specs. If the play is between the rack and the chassis, for bushings are to be questioned! Of course there are other factors like ball joints and steering knuckles to address as well.

240zx...

Were the inside (going into the rack) of the inner ball joint goes into the rubber boot is where I get play/movement. I haven't take the boot off to see if I can tell any more. The tire rod ends and ball joints are new as well.

So if there is play ion the rack the slotted adjustment fixes that, or are there other rack parts/ bushings that wear out as well.

I quess the best way to really know whats going on is to pull the rack out, clean, inspect, disassemble if necessary, inspect again, replace what is necessary if need be, reassemble, lube, adjust, and put it back in the Z.