IGNORED

R200 3.90 Swap or Rebuild

Sulla

Hi I have an early 260z that someone had put 3.90 gears in. Any way they redid the R200 and did not shim it correctly so it whines and makes you want to pull your hair out. Any way I found an 82 280zx 2+2 with a manual transmission that should have 3.90 gears also I think. The question is should try and fix the diff in the car that has been running for years without being shimmed correctly or should I buy the 3.90 diff out of the 280zx. Also if I get the diff out of the 280zx are there anythings I need to change or will it bolt directly in?

From what you have indicated about your 260Z's differential, previously converted to an R200, a 280ZX differential should bolt right in. Of course I am assuming your current R200 is likely the same type R200 as in a 280ZX.

The 280ZX and 240SX R200 differentials are basically the same and are the usually units used for an R180 to R200 conversion. If you can post some pictures of your current differential....it would certainly help in providing you a positive answer.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I picked up the entire rear suspension out from under a late 81 zx. So with that and what I have on the car already I should be able to make it all work. I will be so glad the whine is gone out of the rear end.

Also like most diff the new one is a little greasy. Should a check any seals etc on it while its out?

• 2 weeks later...

Well what I thought was going to be a simple replacing of the old R200 turned out to be replacing an R180. Luckely I have some 280z parts cars. Got it all back together today and found the car had upgraded brake hoses to stainless steal. That was a nice bonus:)